Joey screwed up ... :(

Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 AM

Is it fixed yet, J Miller.....
Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 AM

if not - plan B is in the mail LOL!!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:09 AM

JoAnn,
No, not yet. Got it apart and clean, but when I tried to bend the end of the spring it snapped. Tried again slower and gentler and it snapped again. That old spring is just too brittle. It will have to be replaced.

Cathy,
Thanks for plan B. I will have a use for it.

And there is a plan C. I found out that Sew-Classic has those springs. So next order I make I'll grab a couple for spares.

Joe
Old 02-08-2014, 03:22 PM

Joe, make sure that it's the right one. The 99K springs may be different than the 99- springs. This is true of the first spring - a "Frame spring" that MacyBaby posted. The 99- and 115 share the same frame spring and it's discontinued.

Check the parts charts I sent you and see if the number matches Jenny's numbers. I would hope it would be the same, but there were changes.

When we found the spring we needed discontinued, DH bought some "music wire" from the hobby shop and bent up and "strain relieved" them in the oven. It took a couple of tries, but he did this and the springs for my FW table at the same time. I keep trying to convince him to do a "guest" blog post for me, and maybe now that he's laid up with a busted hoof, he'll do it.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:10 PM

Tammi,

The machine I'm working on is a 66. The spring S-C has specifies for a 66 and the pic looks the same too. Now the embarrassing part, I've sorted most all the parts I have into separate bins. I don't remember what I got from who.

But I do know I don't have an extra bobbin winder arm spring in the mess.

Joe
Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 PM

K,.. the part number in those charts I sent you should be 15291, is that the part # you'd be ordering from Jenny?
Sometimes it's hard to tell by looking - I've had some that looked the same but the diameter of the spring was wrong, or the spring hooked in a slightly different direction, etc.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM

Tammi,

I got my head squarely up in the clouds. I never consulted the parts lists you sent. Duhhh ..... where's my sign?

The part number from S-C is 15366. Here's the link to her page for it:
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Spri...-SCBW15366.htm }

She's pretty good at returns so if / when I buy one if it's not right I can return it.

And I suppose I could get some wire from the hardware store and try to make one. Done that before, but it's been a long long time ago, far far away.

Joe
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

Hey you two... Get a room!.. Hee hee
Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Tammi,

I got my head squarely up in the clouds. I never consulted the parts lists you sent. Duhhh ..... where's my sign?

The part number from S-C is 15366. Here's the link to her page for it:
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Spri...-SCBW15366.htm }

She's pretty good at returns so if / when I buy one if it's not right I can return it.

And I suppose I could get some wire from the hardware store and try to make one. Done that before, but it's been a long long time ago, far far away.

Joe

Oh! I might have picked the wrong spring! 15291 is on the same diagram, the other other spring.
What sort of spring steel is available at the hardware store?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:45 AM

Watsa matter Rain, we hoggin the thread ???

Tammi,
It's been soooo long since I've bought anything like that I don't even know if hardware stores carry it any more.
An easier way might be to find a similar size spring and alter it to work. I know they have selections of springs.

Joe