Just joined, Have question!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Default Just joined, Have question!

Hi, what a great forum! I have a question that I already posted in a different thread here that came up as a link on a Google search, and had to join to post the question. Am I glad I joined!! Great information here!

I posted the following on here in a thread about Nelco machines about two years old, but when I found the vintage machines area, I figured I would re-post it here, thinking it would possibly get a faster response. If there is a problem, moderator, please remove the first posting. I posted the following;

1. Hello to all. I just joined this forum after searching with Google for a question I have, about a Nelco machine I recently purchased.

My question is... Does anyone know if it is possible to repair the stud that carries the upper tension discs, spring, and adjustment knob? The one that I have is loose and comes out of the casing. Might someone know how to fix it?

From the looks of the stud/post itself, and looking in the hole where it goes, it seems there is a set screw or a roll pin that locks it in place and may have come loose, but I don't know for sure. Where it goes is one of the most difficult places to see inside of the casing from other open areas, looking in. I hope this was understandable.

Help!

After reading some of the threads here, it looks like a member "Miriam" posted the following in another thread on 06/09/2013;

..."Not all of the posts just screw out. Some have a set screw - you may see another set screw that holds the tension holder thingy in the machine. The set screw can be on either side or on top. I have learned to take a bit of time looking it over. Springs can vary, too. They all have to spring back. They can not bind or dangle. That manual is the only place I've seen that tells how to do it. The pin inside the tension stud needs to have the flat end outward. Some tension pins are straight with out a little nail head or a flat spot..."

If you or anyone has more info on this, it would be appreciated! Thanks!

Again, great forum! WOOHOOooooo!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:50 PM

Welcome, and yes, this is a GREAT place. You'll love it here. Sorry, I don't know anything about your machine. But some of these other good folks are sure to come through for you.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM

Can you post a photo of the machine. It will help in diagnosing ans suggestions.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM

Okay, I will try and post pictures. If they (three pictures) post in the correct order, the first should be the machine without the upper tension assembly, the second is the "socket"(?) where the stud goes, and the third is the stud itself, and you can see the end that goes inside is not threaded.

Is the "socket" removable, to re-install the stud? At approximately the 5:00 o'clock position in the little hole in the socket, you can see what appears to be a set screw, or pin, or something that may hold the stud in place.(?)
Attached Thumbnails 2013-07-14-21.07.47.jpg   2013-07-14-21.02.12.jpg   2013-07-14-21.28.07.jpg  
Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

yes you can remove the socket. You will see a set screw somewhere around it but you will have to get a flash light and look for the set screw on either side or the top inside the nose piece. This manual might be of some help - you will need to look for a tension that is similar to yours.

http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf

You may be able to buy a whole tension unit on line and replace it with the set screw.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Thank you for the reply and help. I will let you know how this is going.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
yes you can remove the socket. You will see a set screw somewhere around it but you will have to get a flash light and look for the set screw on either side or the top inside the nose piece. This manual might be of some help - you will need to look for a tension that is similar to yours.

http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf

You may be able to buy a whole tension unit on line and replace it with the set screw.
I had one of those sockets I wrestled with. The spring was sprung so I had to pull the post. The socket crumbled like a bad tooth filling when I tried to take out the set screw. It's mostly still in there. GGGRRRR. It looked like someone had hit it with a hammer and screwdriver - it was all chewed up. There was more than one set screw. One on the side of the machine and one on the socket to hold the spindle/post. Usually those kind of slide out once you get the set screws out. There is nothing to hold the post in place - its set screw hole is chewed up. Essentially NO TENSION. If I ever get it out I'm hoping I can transplant the whole works from some donor machine with the same size socket... print out a copy of the TFRS manual. Maybe someone was nicer to your machine than mine.

Last edited by miriam; 07-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM

deleted double post.

Last edited by bartack; 07-15-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Well, I want to say thank you again. The link you provided, and your directions enabled me to fix the machine. It is back in place, tight, and the tension is good, it clicks through the number settings, and sews great!

Thanks again! If you would, (if this forum allows PM's), PM me the type of, and model of machine that you need a
"socket" for, along with where to send it, and I will keep an eye out here in So. CA. for one
Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bartack View Post
Well, I want to say thank you again. The link you provided, and your directions enabled me to fix the machine. It is back in place, tight, and the tension is good, it clicks through the number settings, and sews great!

Thanks again! If you would, (if this forum allows PM's), PM me the type of, and model of machine that you need a
"socket" for, along with where to send it, and I will keep an eye out here in So. CA. for one
no doubt one of the derelict machines will suffice as a donor if I can get the old socket out - then again it might be possible to break the rest of it out.