Kenmore 158.17540

Old 07-02-2014, 07:09 PM

I use Tri-Flow oil on gummed up machines. I find it works very well. It has a solvent in it that dissolves old gummed up oil. And it works very good as a routine lubricant as well.

Joe
Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 PM

Also check the presser foot knob on top of the machine, it may not be set right. Might need to push it down a little so the fabric makes contact with the feed dogs, those should be in the up position.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
Also check the presser foot knob on top of the machine, it may not be set right. Might need to push it down a little so the fabric makes contact with the feed dogs, those should be in the up position.
It could also be broken - I just had to replace one I was working on - it was stuck about half way.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by san-sing View Post
I just bought this machine at a thrift store today, the stitch length is real short and the stitch knob, or the one I think is the stitch length knob does not change the stitch at all. I hadn't oiled it yet, it runs real good. Has anyone had this problem or has this machine? I really need a manual. I will try the Sears web site. Do any of you have a suggestion on where to find a manual?
San-sing, congratulations on your find! Recently I found a Kenmore 158.19412 at an estate sale, and it looked like a loved machine. The tension was slightly off, but it preformed nice and quiet. I took it in for cleaning and oiling. The tension is now fine. The technician was very impressed,saying it was a very good buy. Since there are so many oiling points, I asked how often it should be oiled. Once a year will do it. Go easy on oiling...a small drop at each point will do it.

Google Kenmore 158 series. A bunch of websites will pop up. I did a little digging around with the model number and found mine was made in 1977. A manual came with my machine, but you can download your manual as a PDF. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by quilttiger; 07-03-2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 AM

anybody got a white flip up for a white feather weight I am looking for one let me know
Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM

In my Not So Humble Opinion oiling a sewing machine that is used once a year is like changing the oil in your car every 100,000 miles. It needs more oiling than that.
Remember, sewing machines do not have bearings, the shafts run in polished bores. Metal to metal. The only thing between the shaft and the bore is a microscopic layer of oil. And it won't last a year if you use the machine any amount at all.

I oil mine every 4 to 8 hours of use depending on what I'm doing with it.

Remember this is just my NSHO.

Joe

Joe
Old 07-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Joe, I agree. A machine won't die if it has extra oil but it will die if the friction from lack of oil or dried up oil wears out parts. Case in point. We have a friend who used to be a regional manager for Sears auto services. He had an old Honda. He would have one of his stores change out the oil every week - just checking on the store... Well that Honda had 900,000+ miles on it when he gave it away. He claims it was the maintenance since it died about as soon as somebody quit changing out the oil. So do the maintenance.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:05 AM

That is the clue to longevity of mechanical devices. Service and lubrication. I've found the machines that are coated with oil residue are usually quiet and smooth running when finally cleaned and reoiled. Those that are vintage and sanitary usually are cranky and need a lot of work to get running properly again.

Joe
Old 07-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Definitely agree. Oiling frequently also flushes out old oil, and thus prevents the buildup of old gummed-up oil/varnish.
Oil generously and often. Too much oil won't hurt a thing, but insufficient oil most certainly can cause problems.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 AM

Someone once asked how they'd know if/when they oiled their machine too much. I responded that when the oil drained out the bottom and dripped on their feet they'd oiled it too much. Nobody was impressed with my humor.
You can wipe most excess oil off, but insufficient oil is ...... well, not enough.

Joe