Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Longest road trip to get a machine? >

Longest road trip to get a machine?

Longest road trip to get a machine?

Old 12-12-2014, 03:48 AM

I'd ask about the shortest trip except some people get them dropped off on their doorstep.

Oh yes, I look for machines on CL before visiting family.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:06 AM

I have driven all over the state of Minnesota but I usually have a reason to go other than a machine. I have a passion for audio books so a good book and a long drive make me happy. I listen while cleaning machines also.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:17 AM

My longest road trip so far has been from Frederick Oklahoma to Phoenix Arizona, then a side trip to southern Colorado on the return trip to Oklahoma. About 2100 miles round-trip in 4 days.

I bought an industrial sewing machine with local pickup in Phoenix. My son was there attending school and picked it up for me. Then, for me to get my machine, my wife and I supplied our pickup truck and carhauler trailer to help aforementioned son move to southern Colorado before we returned home. He also had a pickup truck and rented a large trailer, so we were able to move him and all of his stuff (including 2 Harley Davidson motorcycles and a motorcycle trailer) in one trip.

I can’t remember what the total cost was, but getting to see him and other family members was an additional benefit, plus he paid for a lot of it.

I’ve picked up several vintage sewing machines in Dallas Texas, 200 miles from here.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 AM

I may have the record for the most machines from different sellers hauled in one trip - I've had some sellers convinced a must be a dealer because what sane person would by buying that many machines from different people - and put 1,000 miles on the truck doing it.

My problem - I usually run out of either time or room in the vehicle, and can't get everything I'd like to.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Let's see - I think I drove 3 hours then back to get over 60 machines - it took two trips so at least 12 hours drive time.
I drove 2 hours then back plus waited 3 hours for 52 machines.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Lol, if you ever find one in Hayward you want, let me know, I'm 2 miles from Hayward
There was a relatively rare Anker in Hayward (1950s green zig-zag). I wish I'd known.

I extend you the same offer: if there's a machine in the Seattle area you'd like, let me know.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
There was a relatively rare Anker in Hayward (1950s green zig-zag). I wish I'd known. I extend you the same offer: if there's a machine in the Seattle area you'd like, let me know.
Will do. Thanks!

when I first saw you said Anker I though you might have seen my listing that didn't sell from a while back, but then you said ZZ... mine is an older MOP handcrank. hehe
Old 12-12-2014, 12:35 PM

The DH and I are always on the hunt for another FW, we drove down to Alabama (Cullman, following a CL ad); lost the machine to another buyer, but went on into town and messed around in an antique mall, and DH found one kinda stuck back out of sight for $275 (maybe $250, I forget) and said "Did you see that FW back there by the dolls?" and when I said no, we went back over there to find it. I wasn't willing to pay that much for one that we couldn't even plug in to see if it ran; but he was tired of looking. He had the manager call the owner to see if she would come down; she wouldn't; but he bought it anyway.

Lucky enough, it turned out to be a good little machine, but no extras, no nuthin'--just a good little 1947 Featherweight from Alabama. Probably about 250 miles one way for us to travel.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 PM

I've visited family and picked up two machines from them. They're roughly about 600+ miles away. One was a Riccar Treadle (Singer 15 clone) that was my grandmothers. I rescued it from them. They had a flooded basement and was considering getting rid of it. The second one was a 15-91 Singer that I had my cousin pick up for $15. It was in their local Craigslist and I thought it was a great deal. lol
Old 12-13-2014, 12:33 PM

I've made 3 longer trips: one for a Singer 99, 250 miles SW; a Singer 99K 200 miles E and a Singer 66 Redeye, 100 miles NW, (miles for one way): the machines were $20, $30, & $40. I really enjoyed the road trips, that was last fall, I won't be making any more now that its cold and snowy. I'm still in the process of cleaning them up, someday I'll be faster doing the refurb. Merry Christmas Everyone!!