Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for Sphinx, Red Eye and Lotus >

Looking for Sphinx, Red Eye and Lotus

Looking for Sphinx, Red Eye and Lotus

Old 07-11-2018, 04:58 AM

Default Looking for Sphinx, Red Eye and Lotus

Hey all. First time on the site. If anyone can point me in the direction of secure online auction sites that would be great. I'm looking for the portable versions of Sphinx, Lotus and Red Eye (Singers). Thanks!
Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 AM

Auction sites involve a lot of different people, and your are secure to a degree. There are refunds when things go wrong on ebay and other places. I would recommend looking for machines locally, bring them home in the back seat or trunk of your car. Have bit of patience and the most unexpected jems turn up. For shipping and mailing, that's the biggest risk; make a point of it and ask seller for double packaging; loads of bubble wrap, bags of styrofoam pellets, pack each loose item like accessory box and pedal in bubble wrap. The box and insulation has to be drop proof; it will more than likely be handled roughly.

The models with these decals are solid cast iron and replacement parts can be found, if you go for machines in good cosmetic condition most other things can be sorted out. I'm thinking of 15s, 66, 27/127, 28/128. It can be a bit of a fuzz to identify the right chrome or nickle finish for spool pins or plates, but generally they can be tracked down.

Last edited by Mickey2; 07-11-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 AM

buying that much on line you better prepare for some hefty shipping costs. And in your search: red eyes are also called red heads sometimes. Sphinx machines can be called Memphis or Egyptian.

I prefer craigslist so I can see and touch and check for missing bits.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 PM

Not sure what your definition of secure would be. Sewing machines often on ETBH (everything but the house). I've never used them, but often used ShopGoodWill. Have never had a shipping problem with SGW myself, but have with eBay. And yes, both will give refunds if damaged. Conversely, I have never gotten a machine from auction that was usable out of the box. Some only needed cleaning and oiling, but some were major projects. Old straight stitchers like the 66s you want are easiest to get up and running.
I agree that craigslist is the best way to go. Around here I frequently see Sphinx and occasionally Lotus machines on CL. Red eyes are as common as dirt! The trick is waiting for the really fine decals, and expect to pay more for great condition.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Where are you? I could let one Redeye go. Too bad because the one in the bentwood case is nicer than the treadle.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I bought a gorgeous Sphinx on Ebay.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:05 AM

if driving to South Dakota is in your world of possibly, give me a PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jschick72 View Post
Hey all. First time on the site. If anyone can point me in the direction of secure online auction sites that would be great. I'm looking for the portable versions of Sphinx, Lotus and Red Eye (Singers). Thanks!
To me, browsing at MacyBaby's Emporium would be worth a trip to S. Dakota. I have not had to search for Red Eyes, they seem to come to me. When I order online, I shop Goodwill online that has a pick-up place within driving distance of my home. So far, I have only made pick-ups in Tacoma, WA.
I would have dental work without anesthesia before buying anything that has to be shipped to me. My sister fell under the spell of buying and having sewing machines mailed to her. I don't think she will ever forget the machine she bought online where the seller proclaimed "Runs Great". As she asked me, "How can you say Runs Great when the motor is missing?" At least she saved some on shipping weight.
Are you looking for those particular models because they are pretty? I would take a 15-91 over any of those you mentioned.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Elnan, if it's a reputable seller they pack very carefully. I've bought at least 3 machines on Ebay and never had a problem. It could save you that trip to the dentist!
On Ebay the seller's feedback is a good indicator.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 AM

I've bought many machines on Ebay and Goodwill and I have to say that not all sellers pack the machines well. People think that because the machines are so heavy and solid, they're indestructible. That is certainly not the case. If you do buy on Ebay, ask the seller how they plan to pack the machine and possibly refer them to several different articles online on how to properly pack a sewing machine...just in case they don't know. (There's a very good "guide" on ebay regarding the packing of an SM.) Even when well packed, machines can still arrive with broken spindles and parts. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory.

~ C