Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The low down on vintage machines in carry cases? >

The low down on vintage machines in carry cases?

The low down on vintage machines in carry cases?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Great replies! I like the idea of keeping them in the originals even if they have had to be redesigned and I get to choose the materials and colors. Thank you to everyone who replied and especially for sharing those links.

P.S. I almost lost my lunch though reading about the cigarette smoke comment by Skyangel...
Old 10-04-2013, 01:39 PM

I always keep my original cases and try to clean them up and "de-smell" them. Sometimes I put those cases away in the attic and use other small suitcases that fit the machine - which don't smell. I like having them put up when not in use. I have 9 machines and set a couple up every month to rotate and keep them in use.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
I always keep my original cases and try to clean them up and "de-smell" them. Sometimes I put those cases away in the attic and use other small suitcases that fit the machine - which don't smell. I like having them put up when not in use. I have 9 machines and set a couple up every month to rotate and keep them in use.
That is a great idea. Hubby keeps saying you are going to resell some of those? Hehe
Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 PM

My second 301 arrived with the grasscloth case broken. I go back and forth whether to pitch it of repair it. The machine doesn't need a base so it's just a carrying case.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 AM

I tried everything to "de-smell" my 221 carrying case, but finally decided to put it into a new rolling sewing machine case for easier transporting. It's so small that I can put all my fabric around
Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 AM

I could never get that horrible smell out of my 221 case, so I put it into one of those neat cases with wheels (purchased at Joann's on sale for about $29). In fact, I have one for each machine. They are so easy to pull around when transporting, and since the Featherweight is so small I can pad it with lots of fabric making it secure. Sorry about the above post. My computer went blank, so I started again...Blessings to everyone. I love reading all your replies.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm going to tell you all a dirty little secret... drum roll. I've bought out a couple old sewing machine shops. The machines in the dirty messed up cases held up much better than the machines in good tables. Now this might not be the same if you have it in the house and are using it. LOL. Joe does ROCK. You can't buy an new wooden case. (wink) but a plastic case would be better than no case. Using a machine is the very best way to take care of a machine. There is lots of info on here about how to clean and get the smell out of a case.
This place: { http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sew...ine-cases.aspx } has new repro F-W cases for $71.00.

And here is another place:
{ http://www.sailrite.com/Deluxe-Carrying-Case }
that has full sized heavy duty wood cases, but they are $125.00 each and I don't know what machines it will fit.

So, these prices make it more than cost effective to repair and recover the original cases to me.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 10-05-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:20 PM

Joe, Months ago I tried to buy for you a " Bentwood" case to cover older machine. Thought all was set but then found out it was just the top. $ 20. Very narrow one with an unknown name on front not 'singer" . Disappointed but then went for it anyway. Well owner of store wanted to keep it to make an outside "mailbox". She figured out if she cut the end off --put on hinges it would look like a roadside mailbox. I could have screamed at that time.
I was getting it for you and then expected to send it when we went south next month. I'm still looking.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 AM

Morningstar,

I appreciate that. I'm still in need of a case for my 99K HC machine. From what I can see they are just a bit longer than the e-machine case, but I'm not positive on that either.

Joe