Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 AM

I am out in the garage playing computer to avoid the next step. My SM's have all been very frustrating lately, but I am making headway. I have the Bernina 730 record up on the table. Last week I replaced the camshaft gear then set the machine aside. Today I needed to clean and oil and run it a bit to work that oil in well. I just threaded it up and panicked-no patterns! Oh yeah, you have to set the stitch width lol!

So now I have patterns yay! My fabric is wiggling back and forth though and I see the needle is still moving side to side when IN the fabric. I suppose there is an adjustment for that. Where did I put that service manual?

Every time I think I am ready to finish up, there is another little something-something that needs attending to.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:42 PM

That would be getting old for me. Hope you find the service manual, and that it is an easy fix.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 PM

I have the service manual and it leaves a lot to the imagination. Grr. The directions and photos don't match perfectly to what I see either. Once I got into it I found the needle position is off too and to relocate it I apparently am to loose the screws holding the main part of the body and shift it. More Kroil, more heat, more waiting.

All those that have posted "never let a sewing machine know you're in a hurry" are right on target! Each little step takes hours. *sigh
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM

I ended up taking a break for a while when all of the machines I had in a given time frame were character builders. It does wear very quickly, but the trend doesn't seem to last. I especially find it's easy to break the cycle with either an industrial or a featherweight usually
Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

I've had a summer break, too - way to busy with the jobs. Back to fiddling with machines in a few days.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:29 PM

My White's foot pedal seemed to run a bit to hot for my liking. Recently it began to sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies, snap, crackle, pop! Thanks to Tammi's tutorial, I was able to remove, clean and reinstall the carbon pile. It helped but didn't cure the problem. I was fortunate to find a new Featherweight electronic foot wired to a double lead cord set at a salvage store. After a bit of research, I learned it also fits my 15-91!! The White now has the 15-91's foot pedal. Best part there were no cutting of wires and it went much better than I expected.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:01 AM

We finally got a cold front to cool things off a little here, and with that went my excuse for not servicing and making repairs on my 2-wheeled machine. I don’t have AC in my little Bike Shop/Sewing Shop. As you can tell, my bike needs some attention, and while I’d rather be fiddling with the Adler sewing machine in the background, I’ve put off motorcycle maintenance for too long already. Once that’s done, I can get back to fiddling with sewing machines again.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20140906_124132-copy.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 10:46 AM

Fiddled with singer 99 again but mostly tweaking..think it needs a belt.if it revs and stalls in going but goes when you touch the wheel snd slightly help it is that usually the belt? Like the machine but it's heavy lol it's not in a cabinet but a base my dad made for it and dome other machines
Old 09-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

How does the motor do with no load? How to does the machine do with no motor?
Old 09-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Miriam I'm not sure what you mean. I can turn the hand wheel fine not sure how to do the motor with no load. Today it did fine maybe I was sewing too slow. Also lowered the tension. Motto didn't feel hot bob on wound ok but had to guide with my finger a bit when it went a bit uneven on the bobbin.

FREE Quilting Newsletter