Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 09-07-2014, 01:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Oh he** no this is not my machine. It's a family members', I was just dumb enough to agree to service it for her. I couldn't find anything wrong except what I think is a broken piece of part of the motor mount. It doesn't seem to affect how it runs, so I'll tell her what I found and pray she doesn't ask me to fix it.

Cari
you can always let it accidently fall off the tail gate of a truck... or get some kind of connection with a sledge hammer....
Old 09-07-2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
you can always let it accidently fall off the tail gate of a truck... or get some kind of connection with a sledge hammer....
Miriam has a special plastic-seeking sledgehammer
Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Miriam has a special plastic-seeking sledgehammer
yup and it can reach through computer monitors.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
LOL, if it was mine and it had a cracked gear or something else major wrong with it I'd absolutely go for the sledge hammer. Actually, it sews a nice stitch, and I love the little leaf stitch it has. It's just way too complicated a machine for my tastes. My 1956 Pacesetter has way more built in stitches and isn't nearly as complicated to operate. The Futura belongs to my moms cousin. My mom says she hasn't used it 20 years and will probably never use it again so I don't even know why she wanted me to look it over. I won't charge for the service but if she wants me to go back into it and fix the motor mount I'll charge for that.

Cari
Old 09-07-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
You have a Futura? lol Sorry, I just hate that machine. Back when I was bringing home any machine that was free, I actually turned down a Futura in mint condition with tons of attachments in a beautiful cabinet. Hey, I have my standards.
Free, and in mint condition with tons of accessories? No way I could have passed that up. People on eBay go ape for those machines, and the accessories are easy to sell.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:39 PM

The only thing about it I liked was the cabinet and I had to weigh whether it was worth the gas just getting there and back. Oh, it did make a stitch that resembled a Scottie dog. I thought that was cool.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 PM

I am multi-tasking today. I can't decide it I am efficient or chaotic.

I have a stinky Featherweight case in the car heating, a library table in poor condition with wood glue and clamps at alternate points to get the separated wood back together, hit the Bernina 730 with some Kroil (I am considering moving forward with the little brat), cleaned the outside of a Kenmore 1760 preparing to work on the insides and am currently wiring the motor back onto the Pfaff 130.

This motor has been a beast to open up but was making a noise like potato chips being crushed so it had to be. The parts were difficult to get apart and the paint got pretty scarred up in the process. Once I had it open I cleaned it well and decided to mask it off carefully and throw some paint on it. I soldered new wires on it but every time I tried to get it back together this or that was in the way and I had to pry it apart again! Somewhere in there I dropped it once and also pulled so hard the wires tore off the brush holders at one point.

Everything has been re-soldered and is back together. I tested it out and by the grace of God it still runs. I just put new terminal ends back on and decided to break for lunch. *Crossing my fingers!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Banned

Christy just reading this is making me tired. I'm being efficient today. I'm meeting a lady in the same town where I'm picking up a treadle to unload a Singer card table before I go get the treadle. We're meeting at my favorite quilt shop so I don't think I'm going to be efficient with the money though.

Cari
Old 09-15-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Christy just reading this is making me tired. I'm being efficient today. I'm meeting a lady in the same town where I'm picking up a treadle to unload a Singer card table before I go get the treadle. We're meeting at my favorite quilt shop so I don't think I'm going to be efficient with the money though.

Cari
Cari, I would say my hobby is self supporting. If you're making money and then spending it back on a machine or fabrics, I think that's great. How many people can say that about their hobbies?

On a good note: It's aliiiiive! The Pfaff lives! Quick someone hand me some fabric so I can pierce it with ultimate vintage Pfaff power and speed! Ahahahaha!

Now I am picking tape off yet another table trying to decide if it is in decent enough shape to re-finish without killing myself or whether I will paint it. Not robin's egg blue though.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 PM

You're a busy girl Christy.
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter