Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 10-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Oh well, patience...
Yep. Easier said than done I'm afraid. Maybe it'll have more give in the morning.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:31 PM

The machine I fiddled with today is a Singer 99k head with terrible failing clear coat.

I've re-habbed probably 20-25 machines now and have been carefully side-stepping Black Singers with failing clear coat problems. I don't know why it scares me so much...I've learned to take apart tensions, dismantle bobbin compartments, re-wire machines, solder inside tiny light fixtures and take apart motors but black Singers...? Scaaarry. (And I have a lot of them!)

So today I worked on cleaning and loosening the insides of a 99k with a horribly bubbled up clear coat. I picked this one because the coat isn't that gunky greasy mess that many of them have. With those I cannot make heads or tails of what is dirt and what is clear coat. This one is fairly clean but with very obvious bubbles.

I will need to build a box for it, do something for it's messed up light fixture, get a slide plate AND read everything I can in Glenn's tutorial on fixing clear coat issues.

I have no idea what this muck is under the arm?
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0028-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0035-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Power Poster

Pull off the motor and light - see if there is more behind there. See if bug and tar remover work on that stuff? Don't do the whole thing in it - just some place that doesn't show much.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Pull off the motor and light - see if there is more behind there. See if bug and tar remover work on that stuff? Don't do the whole thing in it - just some place that doesn't show much.
Thanks Miriam. I have some of that. I pulled all the electrical yesterday and I don't think there was that gunk on the back but I will look for the most un-noticeable spot to test on.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I've been messing with my Davis!!! WOW! WOW! WOW! AND WOW!!!!!!! - I am ready to do some serious treadling. I had a bit of a struggle getting the needle in the sweet spot but after that. WOW. That thing is smooth as silk and FAST. I think I have a new go to machine. Now if I can keep the thing moving in the forward direction...........
Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Banned

I've been messing with my Davis!!! WOW! WOW! WOW! AND WOW!!!!!!! - I am ready to do some serious treadling. I had a bit of a struggle getting the needle in the sweet spot but after that. WOW. That thing is smooth as silk and FAST. I think I have a new go to machine. Now if I can keep the thing moving in the forward direction...........
You may want to consider rigging up a one way stopper like some of the older treadles used. Imagine a door stop on a hinge mounted above the drive wheel so that it lets the wheel turn one way but wedges when turned the other.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Good call! The bug and tar worked well. That gunk actually did go around the back. I wonder if it was from tape or glue since the light fixture is splitting apart? Maybe someone tried to fix it with tape not realizing it would get hot.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Good call! The bug and tar worked well. That gunk actually did go around the back. I wonder if it was from tape or glue since the light fixture is splitting apart? Maybe someone tried to fix it with tape not realizing it would get hot.
likely LED light in the future
Old 10-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You may want to consider rigging up a one way stopper like some of the older treadles used. Imagine a door stop on a hinge mounted above the drive wheel so that it lets the wheel turn one way but wedges when turned the other.
I'm thinking you are on to something DH loves to treadle that machine, too - I think this is the first sewing machine he likes.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

If you would like photos of the factory versions I have let me know.

FREE Quilting Newsletter