Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
10 batches of cookies,
9 holiday specials,
8 temper tantrums,
7 days of nonsense,
6 delayed packages,
5 thousand loads of laundry,
4 holiday gatherings,
3 orders from Sew Classic!
2 weeks off school,
and a whole day to read the manual!
I love it! Good job!

But, I gotta go......ice storm....power going off and on.....UPS battery kaputt....PC not happy....treadle time.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 PM

and i am fiddling with my 28. my wirings are all toast so i need to do an extensive re-wirings. no idea if motor is running. it has a knee controller assembly but i googled and checked online and couldn't see any wiring diagram. any one knows how to wire this assembly? have no idea what the two prongs are for (see 2 red arrows). would appreciate it if someone can educate me on wiring this knee controller assembly. thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails photo-5.jpg   photo-12.jpg   photo-15-copy.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
have no idea what the two prongs are for
The prongs are the male part of a cable connection, obviously missing. Some call it a Chicago connection, some call it a Mannhattan connection, I believe. This connection is the original power cable. It has been wired around.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:22 AM

Hi vmaniqui,

Few Questions

Want to convert to Hand Crank?
Is the cloth wrapped cords on the motor in good condition?
Are you using a light?
Do you want to spend the money for a knee lever or go the less expensive foot controller route?

I'd recommend the foot controller or the hand crank.

Jon
Old 12-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi vmaniqui,

Few Questions

Want to convert to Hand Crank?
Is the cloth wrapped cords on the motor in good condition?
Are you using a light?
Do you want to spend the money for a knee lever or go the less expensive foot controller route?

I'd recommend the foot controller or the hand crank.

Jon
Yes, the cloth wiring part on the motor are all intact. Wanted to go hand crank route but got outbid on eBay for a hand crack and it was sold for $60+ . Too much for me for a hand crank. Foot pedal maybe economical but since I have the assembly all intact , the wanna be electrician in me prevailed so wanted to try to make it work. I can just buy the metal knee lever. I found a wiring diagram but it's just the basic one. I want to see the complete wiring diagram so that I can work on it. Thanks.

Last edited by vmaniqui; 12-22-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
The prongs are the male part of a cable connection, obviously missing. Some call it a Chicago connection, some call it a Mannhattan connection, I believe. This connection is the original power cable. It has been wired around.
Thanks. I will try to google that connection. Yes mine was wired and re wired around and I took out all the wirings to rewire again. I just wish someone here has the same set up as mine and share me the wiring diagram.

Last edited by vmaniqui; 12-22-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

You can buy the hand crank parts from sew-classic for not too much when she has them in stock. I redo the rubber end though - works well enough!

Last edited by miriam; 12-22-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Sew Classic has a repro hand crank for $15 plus shipping: http://www.sew-classic.com/

You can also buy a double lead cord, foot controller and even a light which is all you'd need for an "easy" electrical set up.

Knee Bar will run you at least $40 and you have to make sure you get the right one. You'd also need the connectors and power cord to work with the two prongs you pointed out. Usually the controller is so old it needs fooling with. I'd only go this route if set on restoring to original working condition.

Good Luck
Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 12-22-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Hmm. Might be a good idea to just take the foot pedal route. Since I've got my light and everything else, maybe I could check ebay for a foot pedal. But I will see if I can still work on this, otherwise - foot it is. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
Hmm. Might be a good idea to just take the foot pedal route.
One does not have to negate the other. As you saw, all of the connections are screwed on, nothing is permanent. You could do the foot controller, and work on sourcing the knee lever parts as time goes by. Then the foot controller can just go to another Singer, or... use it as a testing one for all the other machines you'll work on.

I have to read the assemblers guide here (hahahahaha) soon. I just figured out there are wicks in there, but I don't know where (in the grease pots?).

I, uh, don't like the wiring. It's ok and not crumbling but I would really like it updated. That and the light doesn't work at all. The new bulb fired a few times but I could never get it to turn to hold the bulb in. Then I broke the filament so I need to acquire another one.

Learning learning learning.
Correct, the wicks are inside little metal holders inside the grease pots. I don't think that Rain went through the rebuilding of the light at the time, but once you've done the motor, it's a cake walk.

He goes through soldering, tools and everything in that (those) post(s).

Did I mention I don't know how to do squat with the electrical stuff and I'm completely learning as I go? Yeah. This is the 5th machine I've worked on and the first with any of this going on.

Frustated but but learning learning learning. And i
like it when it goes right.
It's extremely rewarding when it does go right. I had done wiring before, mostly on vehicles, but I wouldn't say it's much harder from scratch, not with his tutorial. That first motor was nerve wracking though. The first 2 cuts of the wire, because there was no going back from there. After that, I just had to work slowly through the tutorials. We all start somewhere. You'll feel so good when it's up and running at the speed it should be.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
... the motor was locked up and when we pulled it the wiring fell apart - not something we can repair very easily. At this point I got a newly made belt guard and I'll have to see how it goes getting that put on along with an external motor. I have a lot of other things on the to do list right now though.
If the wire came right apart at the joint to the coils, it's really hard to repair, is that where it was? As long as you have about 1.5" of a tail sticking out, it should be doable. I'm 99% sure that an eternal motor conversion would work. I've thought about going the other way with my 15-90 Centennial, but I only have one potted motor in the house at the moment, and the 201 runs so nicely with it.

FREE Quilting Newsletter