Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 AM

The motor light and FC are still on it, and can be used if necessary. Ohh yeah, with that comes drop feed dogs.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
The motor light and FC are still on it, and can be used if necessary. Ohh yeah, with that comes drop feed dogs.
What more can you ask for a treadle? Will it accept a big spoked balance wheel?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 AM

Thanks for posting that Jim. I saw one of those on Craig’s List this morning, and didn’t know what the model number was on it. I could have looked it up, but you’ve saved me the trouble.

I’ve been fiddling with 10 of my machine heads that I had stashed down under the wife’s 8-foot table that is one side of her U-shaped work station. I guess that 3-4 of them were under her Singer 430 sewing cabinet, but they all had to come out for a re-shuffle of the sewing room (living and dining rooms). Two of them are the big foot-print industrials, a Singer 96-40 and a Singer 31-15, so I was taking up quite a bit of space down under there. Oh, and I had to move the White Martha Washington cabinet (w/Embossed Rotary) over to make room for the table to move.

Finding new places for them will be about like Miriam’s cabinet storage problem. The Singer 221 HC will go about anywhere. I need to figure out a good way to display my 1883 Henry Stewart Barbell head, the Singer 115 is waiting on the installation of a spoked wheel to use it in one of my Singer treadles, the retired Singer 14U344B just needs a place to rest on standby in its retirement years, the W&W D9 and the Singer 9W7 heads can probably be stored away fairly deep (shed maybe), since I doubt that I’ll ever use them, the 96-40 (set up as a darning/quilting machine) can go back into the industrial treadle stand if I ever put the top back on it and find a place to set it so that it can be used again, otherwise, the 96 can swap-out with the 31-15 in the treadle that I keep set-up in the Bike Shop, the 31-15 HC (spinner knob) is just in limbo right now, I need to figure out some kind of case or cabinet so we can use the Davis NVF, and I doubt that I’ll ever use the Singer 206K now that I have a 306W and two 319W machines to play with. But I’ve got to keep the 206K to complete the “set”....

There are still 5 more machines down under that work station, but they all belong to the wife so they’ll probably stay under there. Actually, the Singer 404 portable was my Grandma’s machine, but the wife takes it to quilting class once in a while. Then there’s the electric Singer 221 and the Singer 353B Genie portables that she takes to classes as well, her JC Penney 7057 freearm, and her new Singer 5400 Sew Mate with the fancy stitches that she won at the Quilt Show. They all get used a lot more than mine do.

We’ve had a new gas heater for 2-3 years to install in that room, and I’m just now getting started on it. Our old central heat unit is getting on in years, so we’re putting in a back-up heater for “just-in-case”. The 8-foot table needs to move about 3 feet end-wise to make room for the new heater. Then, we can stuff as much stuff back under it as possible.

I hauled all of the machines out to the Bike Shop on my walker and set them on the air table. They’re all covered with lint and dust bunnies that I need to clean off before I decide which ones can go back down under the table, and which ones will need a new home.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I've been trying to clean up the shop. It's driven me crazy for a while - I guess I kind of shut down for a while. We got 2 rooms cleaned out then moved machines out of the shop and into the other room for a while. I'm out of space though. I'm taking a break but I need to get back in there and clean some more. I can only take so much. I listed a bunch of tables for dirt and I'm hoping they go away soon. I wonder if we could cut holes and fit a FW in a couple - might get more money... LOL There has to be a way to forge a FW table... Rodney????
Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Miriam, I will check a spoked handwheel and see
Old 09-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've been trying to clean up the shop. It's driven me crazy for a while - I guess I kind of shut down for a while. We got 2 rooms cleaned out then moved machines out of the shop and into the other room for a while. I'm out of space though. I'm taking a break but I need to get back in there and clean some more. I can only take so much. I listed a bunch of tables for dirt and I'm hoping they go away soon. I wonder if we could cut holes and fit a FW in a couple - might get more money... LOL There has to be a way to forge a FW table... Rodney????
I might be more inclined to actually use my FW if it were in a cabinet. Someday I'll find one....sigh.....

Cari
Old 09-29-2014, 07:19 PM

just [popping in here a minute for some advice. I have a 1970 or 71 Kenmore, very good sewer ixcept when I took it to get it cleaned, somebody must ave dropped it...now the bobbin winder no longer works. is this fixable/ it sews wonderfully well, but have to rely on other machines to wind bobbns. UGH............
Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

Can you shoot a picture of the bobbin winder? Does it turn at all?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:55 AM

Miriam I know there are companies out there making copies of the Featherweight oval tables. I think the copies were around $400 or so.

Cari if you just want a cabinet to drop yours in that can be arranged (not the nice oval table) though it would be a while before I can start, I'm starting to get a little booked out on my project list.
Rodney
Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Miriam I know there are companies out there making copies of the Featherweight oval tables. I think the copies were around $400 or so.

Cari if you just want a cabinet to drop yours in that can be arranged (not the nice oval table) though it would be a while before I can start, I'm starting to get a little booked out on my project list.
Rodney
I don't want to get you too backed up Rodney, you're already doing more for me than I expected or would have asked of you. Actually, I've been wanting one of the repro cabinets for a long time. I've even thought of buying the plans and asking my son to build it. He's an awesome woodworker too, he just won't make time to do anything with wood any more. He's gotten back into building old school moto cross bikes and putting money into his cars. His shop bills when he was in school used to empty my bank account.

Cari

FREE Quilting Newsletter