Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Wife and I got the table moved for the heater installation, I got all of the dust bunnies cleaned off of my 10 machine heads, and I’ve started putting some of them back under the table again for storage. By having a single row of them along the wall, my wife’s plastic storage towers set in the best position for access to the drawers, so they’re serving a purpose being there. I put the D9, 9W7, 206K, & NVF down under there. Now that I have the treadle 319W, I probably won’t be using the 206k much anymore, and I even removed the 306W from one of my other treadles this morning to put the 66-14 in it for my darning experiments (I had been swapping those two around in that treadle). The NVF under there is the second of two heads that I have, and I’m hanging onto it as a parts or backup machine until I get the better-looking one serviced up for use. I’m not sure why I’m dragging my feet so much getting a Vertical Feed into use for us, but they still set waiting after having them for 5 years....

I guess it’s good to dig into your stash every once in a while. While digging things out from under the table, I found the box-full of cams, bobbins, needles, and plates for my 306W that I hadn’t been able to find. They’ll work with my 319W too. And I seized upon the opportunity to mount the 9-spoke hand wheel on the 115 while I have it out. It will be serviced up to swap out with the 66-14 when we want a rotary machine in that treadle.

I still need to find places for more machines, and the heater is still in the box, although setting where it will be used now, instead of in the way out in the kitchen. Hey! I don’t have any machines in the kitchen yet! And the heater’s not in there anymore! Hmmmm......

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Wilbur was over for a little while today. We worked on a clone. I had already cleaned the belt tar off the back end of the machine. It was so gross I didn't want to fool with it until it cleaned up a bit. So I got it back out today - I forgot that was all I had done to it... So I had Wilbur help me put a new bobbin tire on and we put the belt and hand wheel back on. Then he dressed it with some new felts. Then since I forgot I never cleaned and oiled it we discovered all kinds of interesting things. The bobbin case was missing it's spring. Cool. I had a rusted bobbin case and robbed the spring and screw off it. It did the job. While I was working on that Wilbur found my magnifying glass and made faces at me. Then we decided to test sew... OOPS lint in the bobbin area. Well then the feed dogs weren't feeding so Wilbur and I removed the throat plate to examine it a little better. The feed dog screw was very loose. Then Wilbur discovered that the sewing machine was making some socks for it's feet. LOL In other words it had a lot of lint in there, too. We got a round pointy thing made out of skinny wood... He couldn't think of 'toothpick'... Anyway that cleaned those up nice. He also cleaned out the bobbin race. He even knows how it all goes back together. Then we oiled everything. While we were oiling we discovered multiple threads wrapped around the works inside the nose. Wow - it turns a lot better now. I still need to take the tension off and clean it but we ran out of time. I go back over things when he is not around. Meanwhile the big sisters stayed on and wanted to test sew that machine to make the naked Barbie some clothes. BUT the bobbin case kept spitting itself out. BAD bobbin - a little bent. Oh and Miss L brought along all of her animals and dolls that needed surgery. We had an ER time after Wilbur left. We also made an elephant out of felt for Walter's birthday.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I picked up a fiddle base machine the other day - so far I have cleaned some of the rust off. The needle bar was stuck/jammed. I messed with it after a 24 hour soak in oil and some tips from Steve and it works. The stitch length knob was stuck - I soaked it over night then I padded the vice grips and got it to move slightly - tips from Glenn. Then I worked with a toothpick and cleaned out the dried up oil out of the stitch length knob grooves. It moves freely. It is once very nice machine. The shiny parts were rusted up pretty good but a soak and some elbow grease and they are looking fairly good. I'm very chicken to do Glenn's method of French polish on the finish. This one is needing it though.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]494700[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]494701[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fiddle-base-singer-008.jpg   fiddle-base-singer-007.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 04:54 AM

That's a nice looking VS2 Miriam. I can't get over how good these heavy beasts are. Mine sews through anything I push under its foot and without any fuss and sews button holes extraordinarily accurately. I use mine a lot and she's very pleasant to treadle.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:29 AM

Very nice-looking VS2. Any idea what year it is?

We had one similar to it in a treadle cabinet, but didn’t ever get around to using it. It sat in our main sewing room for a long time, until a collector down in Texas talked me out of it.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine265_05.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 06:12 AM

beautiful Miriam! I want a nice handcrank or 'something different' with beautiful decals (flowers!) I've found flowers but most were rubbed off so I passed. need more space...wonder if I could make 'attic storage' in my living room?! or insulate half of my garage...

not sure if I'll fiddle with a machne today or not. bought some cams for my 328ks I got from my mom (think there a 2 - either that or I keep moving the same one!) also before work the other day the 201 and 15-91 I just bought arrived and want out of their boxes.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:34 AM

Miriam that is a pretty one. I love the daisies pattern on those.
Rodney
Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Nice Mirium! Your decals are really nice. I love it.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Banned

What Miriam neglected to mention is that she lucked into a VERY early 15.. Only the very earliest ones were made with the cast iron face you see this one have. The castings are very similar to it's predecessors.

I would imagine the cleaning process Glenn outlines would be more than enough for this machine. (Not the shellac treatment one) This machine has a REALLY nice look to it and the simple cleaner Glenn shared would do wonders to this machine.

Great job! Now you just need a matching "puzzle box"
Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 AM

I'm lost. Miriam has a VS machine pictured, predecessor to the model 27, not the 15. Did you mean 27? Either way it's a nice machine.
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter