Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 04-08-2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I've learned how to do so much in the last year I am really pleased. I used to be afraid of electricity--wiring and all that. Now I have the knowledge to fix things like this. It's a good feeling. * and thank goodness for my spare parts! That was a great windfall for me when I made that first big buy. I didn't realize how handy that would be down the road. I have found and used spool holder parts and motors, foot controls, dual socket boxes, tension parts and more.
That's really awesome - you are at the point I'd like to get to. Electrical "stuff" is still an intimidating mystery to me!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I wish I could fit one on my old industrial. A friend of mine just welded an auger handle on his clutch knob some how. It worked. He could take the clutch knob off and put it back to what ever else he wanted.
Thanks, Miriam. An auger or whatever handle attached to a clutch knob is a great idea. When time permits, I think I'll try tapping a spare clutch knob to thread some kind of handle on. It seems so noninvasive as the knob could be interchanged with the original.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:06 PM

Default Singer 12 feed dog height

Hi all. I went over to Amelia's place yesterday to get our MOP model 12 going. The needle went in, caught the thread and formed stitches but the fabric wouldn't move: The feed dog was too low to bite into it.
Has anyone had experience with this problem or just happen to know how to raise the FD on this machine? I'd fiddle with it myself but the machine isn't exactly local.
Mike
Old 04-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Banned

The feed dog is held to the feed arm by a single screw. the feed dog part has an elongated hole. that is the adjustment you are looking for....

On mine, I cycled the unit until the feed arm was at the lowest point and adjusted the dogs until they were just short of touching a piece of heavy card stock I laid on top of the needleplate. then checked the cycle to be sure it was up on the the drive portion of the cycle.

Last edited by SteveH; 04-08-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The feed dog is held to the feed arm by a single screw. the feed dog part has an elongated hole. that is the adjustment you are looking for....

On mine, I cycled the unit until the feed arm was at the lowest point and adjusted the dogs until they were just short of touching a piece of heavy card stock I laid on top of the needleplate. then checked the cycle to be sure it was up on the the drive portion of the cycle.
Thanks Steve, I'll give that a go
Old 04-09-2015, 08:55 AM

With the weather now permitting outside sewing machine work, I’ve spent the past week cleaning up my old Singer 35-1 Carpet Sewing Machine using kerosene. Wow. That stuff doesn’t get any better smelling with age, does it?

I’ve posted about my 35-1 at Needlebar.org to see if I can nail-down about when and where it was made. Does anyone here at QB have any history about these odd machines?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine576_01.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Banned

I know next to nothing about them, but they are the most "steampunkable" machine Singer ever made.....
Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM

CD,
Some background info from the Needlebar which is pretty interesting for those not familiar with 35-1. Good chance you've already seen it.

http://www.needlebar.org/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4164

Jon
Old 04-10-2015, 01:11 AM

Thanks Jon. I had seen that and other discussions about the 35-1, 35-2, 35K1, & 35K2 machines. There doesn't appear to be good records on the pre-1900 machines of this type, and there have been questions about the lack of "normal" serial numbers on one other example such as my serial #450. I'm hoping mine can be identified as a pre-1900 version, perhaps close to the time that Singer took the design over from the inventor, Mr Hesse.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-11-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Thanks, Miriam. An auger or whatever handle attached to a clutch knob is a great idea. When time permits, I think I'll try tapping a spare clutch knob to thread some kind of handle on. It seems so noninvasive as the knob could be interchanged with the original.
The only issue I can think of with the clutch knob is you'll lose your stop motion capability when you're winding bobbins.
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter