Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 04-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Rodney, picked up a SideWinder for these situations. Doesn't work for my 127 so that won't be a possible candidate for alteration. 😁
Old 04-12-2015, 05:05 AM

I picked up an unusual handcrank on that auction site a while back, and have been playing with it and trying to identify who made it and what make of machine it may have fit.

In the photos, my Singer 115 is graciously modeling the crank, and while the crank appears to line up with the spacing of the Singer, I get a little “binding” at one point in the full revolution. It may be the spoke thickness of the 9-spoke Singer hand wheel. Maybe the flip-over tongue, which is different from the Singer style, is designed for a hand wheel with narrower spokes?

The beige paint on it looks original.
The design has an offset built-in, unlike a Singer crank.
I see no Simanco part numbers on it at all.
The quality is better than current Chinese reproductions, but less than original Singer cranks.

Anyone have an idea on the identity of this crank attachment?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine292_08.jpg   machine292_09.jpg   machine292_10.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I like that HC - it sets forward - easier to reach I bet.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:59 PM

Great hand crank CD. I wonder if it was made for a Japanese made machine? The color puts it newer in my mind but it shares the same attachment point as a Singer or 15 clone where the motor would normally mount. Just guessing.
Rodney
Old 04-12-2015, 04:59 PM

I like the looks of that hand crank but have no idea what it was made for, sorry.

Still working on the Pfaff 332. It's an inch by inch thing. I had to remove a capacitor in the foot controller-blown out just like the ones in the motor. I thought the wiring in the foot controller was cool. The old wires are still good but instead of rubber insulation they have ceramic beads on them. Once I got the wiring under control I tried once again to run the heck out of the motor. At times I felt like it was going to break loose and then it would get bogged down and I had to stop. After a good search I decided to dismantle the hook and found four different colors of thread would tightly behind the works. The slowing down problem has stopped now.

I spent some time centering the needle, centering the zig zig, straightening the foot.. in cleaning the tension I found the crossbar in the inner cup of the tension unit is broken, so I'll be looking for a replacement.

By the end of the day I had the straight, zig zag running strong and tested out one of the patterns. It looks like the pattern part will work but the user needs to figure out how to do it correctly.

It's getting there.

If anyone has a Pfaff 332 parts machine feel free to message me.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:16 AM

Wow you are really rebuilding that Pfaff! She's going to be humming like new in no time!

I'm STILL waiting for my pattern wheel to arrive from Germany. When it gets here I wouldn't mind looking up the settings for a few stitches for you, at least enough that you can do some testing. I'm not even sure mine is working properly, all I could get was wobbly zig-zags, but I have no clue what I'm doing so probably the machine is fine. When I was a kid I was NOT ALLOWED to touch any of those dials so they're all a mystery to me, LOL.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 AM

I think there's a scan of a pattern wheel in one of the yahoo groups too. It might be for one of the older machines, but it strikes me it was for the 362's "embroidery module" so I think it's relevant?? Try Pfaff_fixit and Old Pfaff Pforum. Those are 2 that I get digests for.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:37 PM

I went into my local thrift and saw a very nice sewing machine case. I haven't been buying machines lately but I just had to peek inside...It was a like new MW 185A, so I couldn't go wrong as even the case was usable for me even if the machine wasn't. I like the shamrocks pattern too.

Bad news, someone had needle in wrong, threaded the machine wrong which is very common for this style of machine with the tension assembly on the back side. The feed dog plate was really beat up around the needle hole.
Good news she was all original and cords and foot control looked great. Paint and decals are almost perfect. Bobbin case and bobbin were there too. Bobbin case needed adjustment.

Cleaned her up and fired her up....BAD news, the motor was shot. GOOD news, I have spare motors and hubby!

He put a motor on and adjusted her belt to a perfect fit, I added a missing thread spool holder on top, oiled her up and viola!

He opened up the original motor and it was a MESS!!! inside.

I will try to rehome her at our yard sale in few weeks. She sews fantastic, those 30 stitches per inch are incredibly tiny and straight. I luv the little tension release button on the top of the machine. She is super heavy so maybe we will put her into a table. Motor is now a different color but who cares.

Here she is and I hadn't even cleaned her up yet.
Attached Thumbnails mw-sewing-machine-002.jpg   mw-sewing-machine-001.jpg   mw-sewing-machine-005.jpg   mw-sewing-machine-006.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I think there's a scan of a pattern wheel in one of the yahoo groups too. It might be for one of the older machines, but it strikes me it was for the 362's "embroidery module" so I think it's relevant?? Try Pfaff_fixit and Old Pfaff Pforum. Those are 2 that I get digests for.
Totally right again Tammi. It's there, printable and will almost certainly apply to a 362. It's for a 230 and I used it for my first 260, a model I strongly suspect is identical in most ways to the 362 (they use the same manual!)
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 PM

Default Screw Loose

I successfully found diamond, lost out of my ring, at a local auction barn. I swept the floor three times with a soft broom. I saw it "flash"and never was so glad to see anything as that sparkle. A better way would be to put a nylon stocking over the hose of the vacuum and gently sweep with that. Found a contact lens once that way. A magnet from a discarded microwave is a VERY strong magnet, although very heavy. DH found a truck part in the grass that way. Tie a cord on it with electrical tape around the sides and drag it around. That screw will find it absolutely irresistible. Good luck

FREE Quilting Newsletter