Machine Shed - part two

Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Default Machine Shed - part two

Or maybe I should say "east side"

DH has been working on gutting the building and soon will be taken the roof/walls down and then rebuilding the east side to match the west side.

Once done, I'll be moving my longarm and most of the Singer collection out here (but not the machines I use regularly). We'll also have one corner with a kitchenette so I can still have a cooktop to use my big canners. Will actually be nice as I'll have something I can do while the canner is processing, since sometimes that can take a few hours from lockdown to opening.

This is the shared wall - rebuilt with the Machine Shed.

DH was kind of wondering if the floor would be decent enough for my use. It does not have a single crack in it - and it's been there for some time, so I think it will be OK. The floor will be 58 years old in a few days.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Banned

That is going to be SOO cool when done!!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:16 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - you are living in Heaven on Earth!

I see a big chicken! How many do you have? I have wanted to "live in the country and raise chickens" since I was 14 years old. Forty-five years later, I still want to "live in the country and raise chickens."

And I see kitty tails! Is that a Mama Cat and her mini-me Kitten?

Chickens, cats, a beautiful machine shed, and all the machines needed to fill it. It makes my heart happy seeing all your photos. Please keep posting.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Very cool Cathy! It's going to look great when you and your husband are finished.

Caroline if you have your own house and there's no ordinances against them you can have chickens in the city. I think they've become fairly popular over the last few years.
They really don't take that much room. If you can't move to the country, bring the country to you.
Rodney
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 AM

I looked at the photos again; now I see three chickens! It just gets better and better!

Rodney, I probably could wheedle and whine the "City Council" to allow me to keep three hens, which I would luuuuuvvvvv. I know the neighbors would not care - I've already asked them all! However, the two large hunting dogs, heavy on "Bird" hunting, would never stand for the indignity of having non-huntable birds on the place. I would want my (imaginary) hens to be happy, contented, and laying eggs for all they are worth, so it won't happen at this place.

But someday...
Old 08-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Dogs and chickens don't go together very well-at least not for long.
Rodney
Old 08-28-2015, 01:06 PM

And especially not for the poor chickens.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Rodney, we had a lab and never had problems with her and the chickens except for the time one got into her kennel (a rather large section of the old barn). We had no idea one had wandered in there, so when we locked her in for the night, she must have decided it was hers! But she never bothered them when she and they were both out in the yard all day long.

Dog lived to be a nice old age, she's been gone for 3-4 years now.

We currently have 9 laying hens and a Roo - and a flock of 10 "this year" chicks, four pullets that will join the layers and 6 roos that will be off to freezer camp soon.

Cats - no momma, though we have one year old unfixed female - she had a visiting boyfriend this spring, but she didn't take. All our others are fixed. The cats aren't super happy about the change as they loved hanging out in the green house during the winter. Have not used it to start plants in five years, so I won't miss it.

DH decided this one will have a flat ceiling which will work better for having lights over the long arm. I plan on storing machine cases under the longarm - and that will free up space of at least one more machine in the Machine Shed. I'll have room to put machines along the two longer walls, and plan on having a row of shelves down the middle of the room. That is where most of my Singers will go, along with storage for my longarm supplies.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:32 PM

Caroline - that is what "chicken tractors" are for - and besides, there are a lot of animals that love a chicken dinner besides dogs.

We lock ours up each night, and they stay in once we've got snow on the ground too.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

My daughter's chickens have been visited by owls, skunks, dogs, foxes, hawks and who knows what else in a well built enclosure in the city. Varmints do get in. The funniest one was when DSIL was out working in the yard and he heard a commotion in the chicken house. He stepped in. A varmint stepped out. He picked up a 2 x 4 and swung. He missed. The skunk did not.

I would have a chicken house or a sewing machine house at this point either one would give me a smile as long as I don't have to live in it.