Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Machine Vibrating the Whole Floor -- What to Do? >

Machine Vibrating the Whole Floor -- What to Do?

Machine Vibrating the Whole Floor -- What to Do?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM

I need a "like" button NZquilter. I love your answer about the sewing shed on a concrete pad.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by twinsister2 View Post
I found that you need a very sturdy table that helps eliminate most of this problem! I went to a second hand store and purchased a old computer desk,,,,the kind that has a little shelf that pulls out for the key board... and it works wonderfully! Next my hubby drilled a hole about 3 inches across, on the side ( about 3 inches down,) so my sewing cord could be plugged in on the underside of the desk instead of going behind the thin backing, he even cut out a rectangle in the backing that matched my outlet, so my new table sits flush against the wall! Hope this helps
Yes, this! I use a big old conference table and we can all sit and sew without any problem but when we go to friends homes we have the problem too because of the tables.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:00 AM

A 130 should be smooth, no need for major floor support or cushioning to make it run nice. You should get far with basic maintanance and sorting out possible mechanical issues. You are onto the problem already, pulley, belt and hand wheel need to be right. I have bought basic v-belts from SewClassic and ebay, they were the narrow type. If there are cracks or chips in the hand wheel, there are fixes for it. They tend to be in good condition, but the 130 usually has a bakelite hand wheel and things can happen. For the resistance in the hand wheel, I suspect it needs more cleaning and oiling, go through all the points thoroughly, and observe parts as you turn the hand wheel. Generally; trouble shooting is more of the same already mentioned.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Yes, this! I use a big old conference table and we can all sit and sew without any problem but when we go to friends homes we have the problem too because of the tables.
It is not my cabinet. Already ran all the tests for the cabinet. It is the machine.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
A 130 should be smooth, no need for major floor support or cushioning to make it run nice. You should get far with basic maintanance and sorting out possible mechanical issues. You are onto the problem already, pulley, belt and hand wheel need to be right. I have bought basic v-belts from SewClassic and ebay, they were the narrow type. If there are cracks or chips in the hand wheel, there are fixes for it. They tend to be in good condition, but the 130 usually has a bakelite hand wheel and things can happen. For the resistance in the hand wheel, I suspect it needs more cleaning and oiling, go through all the points thoroughly, and observe parts as you turn the hand wheel. Generally; trouble shooting is more of the same already mentioned.
Thanks! I agree, I think it is the belt. I'll check the balance wheel too. Also I noticed that my manual shows more oiling points than my machine has holes for, so I think that's why I am having a hard time reaching some spots.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Every machine has more oiling points than holes. Oil every place that has two surfaces moving.

I know you'll get it sorted.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
...Also I noticed that my manual shows more oiling points than my machine has holes for, so I think that's why I am having a hard time reaching some spots.
Spot on, some models it can be handy with an long spout oil can. Like leon mentions, all joints, gears, hinges, end of rods, cam like parts, where metal moves against metal needs oil The trick is to oil a drop or two, then run the machine, yet another drop every where, and do this persistantly for a while. It's typical for machines that's recently taken out of storage or neglected.