Machines are harder to find

Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
...everyone who comes here for a machine wants a heckuva deal, but I always justify my prices. I usually will tell them the service on a machine in the city is $90+.....can definitely see not shipping "beaters". I may have to compromise on the 431G though.....
I have a 1956 Singer 99-31 “Red Dot” (backtack) machine that I completely serviced, did a “motorectomy” on it, installed an aftermarket spoked wheel and handcrank on it, replaced the bottom of the bentwood (knee-operated) case, modified the end of the case top to fit and lock with the HC installed on it, and sold it in 2008 for $59. That’s pretty cheap, but it took several months to sell it for that. I don’t sell them that cheap anymore.

I came across it again in 2013 when a friend contacted me about buying it for $40 (I’m not sure how he’d come up with it, but he hadn’t bought it from me.). I snatched it up and have it back in my collection. He didn’t know that I’d set it up as a HC until I told him, and still, he made a little profit selling it back to me for $40. The modified case top is worth more than that much (hole-sawed where the HC interferes with the old style top, and covered the hole with a decorative plate.) I nicknamed that machine “Boomerang”.

As far as shipping machines, I have some machines that aren’t beaters, but whether they are or not, it takes the same kind of care (and expense) to pack them for safe shipment either way, and I don’t make enough on beaters to ship them, so I don’t ship any machines. If I was going to do it for one, I’d have to do it for all of them. I prefer personal handling for sewing machines, and unless it will fit into a USPS priority box (parts), I don’t ship it.

I did haul a load of Singer slant shank machines (5-301A, 2-403A) halfway to OKC back in 2010 for a Buyer one time because I had other business at that location and it helped him out. I usually make at least one pickup truck load to Dallas area each year for those folks down there, but otherwise, everyone has come here to get their machines. We buy our quilt batting in the large rolls, and I travel down to the Dallas area to get them for us and for a couple of our local longarm quilters, so I have an empty pickup going down. It’s nice to fill it up for the trip down with sewing machines, treadles, and cabinets. I don’t charge them a “delivery fee”, but of course, I accept “donations”......

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I just got back from a horrific day. We went to the flea market and on the way home the fuel pump went out on the truck. AAA sent out a battery truck so we had to wait another 2 hours for another tow truck. Back to the flea market. Once again I had a Singer there and a couple $5 junque machines. Men were wanting to buy the Singer for $5 to turn into tractors. The junque machines were passed up because only the Singers work for tractors don't you know??? GGGGGRRRRR That should account for a few older machines. A couple months ago when I was at one of the local thrift stores the manager told me they get more cash if they take the machines to the scrap metal place than if they sell them at the store. Does that solve a couple mysteries???
Old 05-07-2014, 04:15 PM

How much do they go for at the salvage place? Anyone know?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
How much do they go for at the salvage place? Anyone know?
A quick search shows that the salvage price of cast iron is around $200 per ton. I could probably sell 4 or 5 machines and make $200.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
A quick search shows that the salvage price of cast iron is around $200 per ton. I could probably sell 4 or 5 machines and make $200.
I'm sure that is the same idea that thrift store manager had... but in reality at 25 lbs each it would take a lot of machines to make a ton and it seems to me they might get more by selling the machines if they feel like messing with machines...
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 PM

One of my model 15's was a rescue that was picked up by a scrapper. He had the sense to list it on CL to get more $ than scrapping it for the metal. However, not many scrappers want to take the time to do this.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 PM

Miriam, I have to see one of these "tractors". I can't for the life of me envision what they look like or why someone would want one. I imagine they make them to sell right? *I think I just barfed a little. Just the idea is so repugnant.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Miriam, I have to see one of these "tractors". I can't for the life of me envision what they look like or why someone would want one. I imagine they make them to sell right? *I think I just barfed a little. Just the idea is so repugnant.
i guess they do make so much money making tractors....here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2014-05-07-11.59.41-pm.png   screen-shot-2014-05-07-11.59.55-pm.png   screen-shot-2014-05-08-12.00.10-am.png  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I avoid Kenmores but I've ended up with two anyways.

I am finding it hard to understand why some of you avoid the Kenmores. I have a few of the Kenmore 158's and they are very strong and dependable machines. Most will do double needle stitching and some will even do a chain stitch and you can drop the feed dogs for free motion quilting and they are not fussy with thread choices. Also some use cams. They are some of my favorite to sew with machines.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't understand why White and the older Brother and New Home machines don't sell better. They are good machines - especially the more simple machines. The simple old Kenmore's are good. A lot of people DO like Kenmore machines.