Machines are harder to find

Old 05-08-2014, 03:24 AM

You know here where i live they have those old barn sales once a month. People used to bring treadles here for $15.00. All were great working order. Then when I wanted one, they all were gone.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:51 AM

Because I've fickle and petty with my sewing machines.

But that's what I have, two 158's.

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
I am finding it hard to understand why some of you avoid the Kenmores. I have a few of the Kenmore 158's and they are very strong and dependable machines. Most will do double needle stitching and some will even do a chain stitch and you can drop the feed dogs for free motion quilting and they are not fussy with thread choices. Also some use cams. They are some of my favorite to sew with machines.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 AM

I don't mean to be dense, but what is GW? I have seen it mentioned several times. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I was just thinking of getting rid of a few machines but I believe I will be following Joe's suggestion now. Not that I have that many but still ........
same here,I have a few---but mine ,mine ,mine,lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by heronfan View Post
I don't mean to be dense, but what is GW? I have seen it mentioned several times. Thanks!
Goodwill sells machines online now
Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 AM

The days of cheap or inexpensive anything is gone methinks. Everybody wants to much for everything.

Unless by "cheap" someone means not worth wasting your money on it.....
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
The days of cheap or inexpensive anything is gone methinks. Everybody wants to much for everything.

Unless by "cheap" someone means not worth wasting your money on it.....
Worse still, many people want a fortune for what they have but they don't want to pay a penny for what you have that they want.

I see lots of ads for "Wanted Free Sewing Machine" and I think why? Why should you get for free what the rest of us had to pay for?
  • If you're completely down on your luck and need something to help you pick yourself up - sure. I'll help.
  • If you're fixing one up for an organization that needs one, or you are that organization, yes. I'll help.
  • If you just don't want to pay for it? Nope.
  • If you're starting a business? Nope. You have to spend money to make money. I did, and continue to do so.
  • If you're a "high school student" (like a current ad)? Nope, statistically this demographic has the most disposable income.

If I give it to you for free, you're not going to appreciate it. If you had to earn it, or spend your hard earned money on it, you're going to treat it better. I'm not giving away a machine that you will mess the tension up on and then throw it out because it was free and too hard to learn about / fix.

uh... *hangs head and climbs down off the soapbox*
Old 05-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Banned

I had one person ask me about giving them for free a machine I had listed for sale.

They had a great story about just getting started after an abusive relationship and wanting to make their own clothes. I said that it was usually cheaper to buy at Goodwill than to make.... she replied "Look, I do not need you advice just your machine, do you want to give it to me or not?"

I replied with a one word email. "not" (sold the machine to a nice lady and her 16 year old daughter the next day)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Sounds like she was looking to start another abusive relationship. seriously! Do people actually think that sort of behavior endears them to others?
Old 05-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Banned

My first reaction was to ask if the guy was really abusive or just defensive ....
(I am saying this completely tongue-in-cheek, there is NEVER a justification for physical or mental abuse of another person, period)