Making Parts

Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. Guess I should have waited for the rest of the steps

[UOTE=SteveH;6562974]Metal. The process you are describing is called machining. using mills, lathes, etc. Yes, makes perfect parts hard as original.

This is for soft metal parts like pewter.

For Medium metals like Brass, copper, bronze I use sand casting. (different thread different weekend...)

For steel I machine or forge by hand and/or heat. No mill here ,but I have one (and a lathe) at work we use to make screws and bolts and the like.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I am fairly sure the answer is the typical "it depends". If the gear is a transfer gear (in between two other gears and not under too much load it should work for a while but I would be REALLY worried about shavings and the like.

Funny you should ask because I was considering trying to make a gear copy for testing.

Brass or better yet Bronze, would be much better. I will be doing a reproduction next week using the clay/sand casting method and casting a bronze part. Photos will be posted here of course.
Is shrinkage a factor??
Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Is shrinkage a factor??
So far not so much. Withthe RTV molding there is not much at all.

With the sand casting I was taught to "wiggle" the original in the sand just a hair to allow for shrinkage. Not exactly scientific, but hey it works.... Most gearing made back then includes what today would be called a lot of slop.... so it should be close enough.

I have a small smelter that I am trying to get the time to get up and running. It will melt about 1 pound of bronze, so I "may" be able to cast things like handcrank parts and such.