Minnesota Model A 10

Old 09-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Minnesota Model A 10

I just bought my first treadle sewing machine and need to learn how to use and care for it. It is a Minnesota A 10 and it has a manual but the manual is hard to read and falling apart. I have taped it together so it won't disintegrate but I needmore detail than I can glean. Is there another manual or gide to help?
Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM

Welcome aboard..or welcome to posting anyway. You may know already that the Minnesota is a machine badged for Sears. Others may have suggestions for the manual.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:06 PM

There is a bit of info on Minnesota model A, it comes in a few variations but basically the same machine, a derivative of Singer model 27 and 127.

The major advantage with the A10 is it takes regular 705 (a.k.a 130, 15x1) needles (it looks like some of the variants take a Boye needle). You can get by with a general manual for a VS / long bobbin model. The stitch length adjustment might be a knob on the base or the column on the hand wheel side.

The oil points need a bit of ivestigation and detection, but all places were metal moves against metal needs oil. There might be felt bits in the shuttle area, and if you post picture of the shuttle and bobbin someone here will be able to help with with threading. Top thread should be relatively easy. The plates need to come off for cleaning, two bobbin slide plates, throad plate, face plate and if there are plates in the back or in front like on a Singer 128. There will be joint, hinges, knobs, or levers that need oil; several holes on top of the machine, near the hand wheel and bobbin winder.

This was the closest I came to a free manual for it. There are several pay-for pdf manuals available if you serach for them.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:50 PM

...it should be "...bits of felt in the shuttle area," some models have a felt bit used as an oil wick to keep parts running smoothly. It can be hard to detect on some shuttle models if you don't have the manual.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by msdefyer View Post
I just bought my first treadle sewing machine and need to learn how to use and care for it. It is a Minnesota A 10 and it has a manual but the manual is hard to read and falling apart. I have taped it together so it won't disintegrate but I needmore detail than I can glean. Is there another manual or gide to help?
You might try Minnesota A Treadle which has some other links in that thread and it also mentions http://www.clawges.com/sewing/MN_A_manual/index.html

The manual Mickey2 referred to http://ismacs.net/domestic/manuals/f...ng-shuttle.pdf may have a better picture of some of the places to oil. as does the above manual. I will sometimes zoom in on pictures whether in pdf or jpg to help see some of the places better.

Also, we like pictures.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-24-2018 at 05:20 PM.