Minnesota A treadle machine

Old 10-26-2021, 10:19 AM

Default Minnesota A treadle machine

I have Singer Minnesota A treadle machine. How can I find out how old it is and where is was built? It is a Davis serial number. Also I have been looking for a m annual for it. Any information would be helpful, I have been trying to research it with no luck.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:03 PM

Welcome to the Quilting Board. Take a look over here:

https://ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

And you'll find some information about your machine. It's likely a copy of a Singer, not a machine manufactured by Singer.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:57 AM

There are many posts on Quilting Board about Minnesota A machines. One is Need help identifying Sears Minnesota treadle sewing machine and particularly Need help identifying Sears Minnesota treadle sewing machine

Picture, please!? There were several different versions called "Minnesota A" including one that was a Minnesota A without an A.

According to http://ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
For instance, there were five major versions of the Minnesota Model A
(emphasis by me)

I think some will take a different needle than what are now used on domestic machines.

Additionally, from my understanding there weren't any company records like Singer had during that time. There are some that have studied and collected info (Bill of Sale or advertisements) about some of them so that they can give an approximate time frame.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-27-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:30 AM

I am having trouble posting a pic.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:33 PM

MIinnesotas were sold by Sears. but they were made by a few companies.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:01 PM

The serial number is needed for a manufacture date. The serials all begin with "D" and are on the front slide plate. Davis sewing machines made for Sears were all made in Dayton, Ohio and shipped direct to the Sears customer by rail.

Jon
Old 10-27-2021, 07:18 PM

Generally, the problems with getting pictures to post is because of the size - make sure the file size is less than 2MB
and
the button to click to upload is way over to the far right and most have to scroll way over to see it.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:27 AM

The serial number on my Minnesota A is D1209376.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by GardenLady68 View Post
The serial number on my Minnesota A is D1209376.

Your A was made in 1905 and is a Davis Model E. This model uses unique Davis long needles and bobbins. Here is a link to a similar Davis Burdick manual.

http://www.clawges.com/sewing/lightr...uel/index.html

Jon
Old 10-28-2021, 08:11 AM

Thank you everyone for the information. I have been cleaning the machine but can not figure how to take the front plate off my machine, it is a flat silver plate, I do not see and screws except on the back at the bottom. It was not real dirty but using lots of care with it. I have been using machine oil to clean and it is doing a good job.

Cathy