Minor Thrift Shop Score Today

Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 AM

I have made hundreds of quilts using blankets for batting... Works great!

and many from polyknits for those in need.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 AM

My Mom and Grandma made patchwork quilts when I was very young, but they were considered "covers" for blankets that were wearing out. So yes, blankets can be used for batting--they were the original "batting" to me.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 AM

My wife bought a couple of inexpensive fuzzy blankets and four inexpensive flat sheets (at that “mart” place), and sandwiched them together like a quilt, but with a large distance between stitch lines. We used them for bedrolls when we were camping on motorcycle trips. Having the sheets on the outside helped keep the sand burrs, goat heads (a thorn), pine needles, and other debris associated with tent camping from sticking to the fuzzy blankets.

The widely spaced quilting stitch lines help keep as much poof as possible in the blankets. If you quilt them very closely, they won’t poof as much as batting, get stiff, and won’t trap as much heat.

We didn’t use them in extreme cold situations, and got pretty cool at 32 degrees F in Red River New Mexico one year, but they worked great for all of the other camps that we pitched during six riding seasons.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-22-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug View Post
I have an old army wool blanket that I put flannel over it so its not scratchy, makes a good camping blanket.... DottieBug

Thanks for the idea I have a wool blanket that I always throw in the camper for extra but it never gets used I'll have to do this with it.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 AM

I made a lightweight quilt for my MIL using an old flannel top sheet. They lived in Florida and didn't really need a heavy quilt...just something to cover up with.
I wonder what happened to that quilt? Should call FIL's widow and see if she knows anything about Mom's quilt.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 AM

With 3 brothers in the military in WWII, we had several old blankets. My mother put them all into quilts and they wore like iron.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM

I got a couple of those ''emergency'' blankets given to me and I washed them before making tent pads out of them OMG they fell apart and it took me the rest of the day to clean the mess out of my washer then my son had to tear the back off to clean out the rest. Not a fun day at all....
Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 AM

They use to use blankets a lot as batting. There also was a thing that was called a "sheet blanket" which is a thin blanket that they use to use as batting. I did it one time and it worked fine. Now, those quilt police people that go to my quilt group (the know it alls) would scold you up and down for doing that. That is against the rules. But your secret is safe with me.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM

I did use flannel in the last one I made it made it very heavy Great for the winter cold nights
Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 AM

I have used sheet blankets for batting. Wash them first. They make warm and fairly lightweight quilts. I think the heavy blankets would be more suitable for camping or outdoor use as they get really heavy. I made several denim quilts and the grandkids wanted a light batting in them and they were SO heavy, but they loved them.