Minor Thrift Shop Score Today

Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 AM

Hi Rodney! Fun score there! Parenthetically, I applaud your sensibilities in heeding budgetary restraints. You make comments now and then that always strike me as wise indeed, that way.

Regarding woolen blankets as batting - firstly, I am not a quilter (still a beginner EVERYTHING!) but just last week, my Mom was saying. "I don't understand quilting. People spend oodles of time, and oodles of money on fabric, and then they go and fill the quilt with cheap crud poly fill garbage crud fill spill." Or similar.

I could not agree more with her. Solid wool filling? Yikes, any quilt or quilt recipient should be HONOURED to have such quality! And environmentally friendly beyond the cheap-o poly filly stuff. And warm. And fabulous.

I think it is a marvelous idea! Look forward to hearing what you end up doing. And if I ever make a quilt, you can be sure I will take inspiration from your woolen blanket idea.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Banned

get the blankets while you can. More and more military's are going to poly blend for the blankets. The wool ones are getting harder and harder to find. My local surplus store sets the wool ones aside for customers who ask for them and lets the poly blankets go on the shelves for folks who do not care.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 AM

I have used old blankets in levi quilts and given them away, people have loved them. Say they are very warm.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM

Steve I messed up once that way. I bought a surplus wool blanket years ago for hiking. They were cheap then and you could always get more. I gave it to my first dog for bedding.
OTOH my hiking days are pretty much done. My left foot has a hole in it about 2" diameter and an inch deep caused by my melanoma and tumor die-off. It's going to be a long time healing and will never be able to take the strain of extended hikes again.
Rodney
Old 04-23-2014, 03:25 PM

My MIL made pieced comforters for my three young boys. We used only an old blanket as backing because the pieced front was made from polyester double-knit fabric. We then tied them with yarn. Very warm and durable. Still have them.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:01 PM

I used a $10 on-sale blanket I bought at Walmart as batting on a queen size quilt and it worked fine. That was before I learned that batting is not the same as a blanket.

That won't stop me from using a blanket again, though, especially if I want a warm quilt to use in the winter.

I'm sure you know this already - wash used blankets before using.

So go for it.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Rodney, I wish you the speediest recovery possible!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Steve I messed up once that way. I bought a surplus wool blanket years ago for hiking. They were cheap then and you could always get more. I gave it to my first dog for bedding.
OTOH my hiking days are pretty much done. My left foot has a hole in it about 2" diameter and an inch deep caused by my melanoma and tumor die-off. It's going to be a long time healing and will never be able to take the strain of extended hikes again.
Rodney
Oh. Dear Rodney. I am so sorry to hear of this. That must be awful, just awful. I am so glad that you were able to conquer it, though, and I wish you ALL the best for a strong recovery.

I love your avatar, by the way!

And yes, your Sewing Birthday would be in the autumn! :-)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM

Thanks, I'm on a treatment that's working and I'm feeling fine but melanoma never truly goes away. Even if I get to the point where I'm pronounced "No Evidence of Disease" it can come back at any time. Right now my biggest issue is just healing from the damage caused by tumor die-off and radiation. I've got several large open wounds on my left leg that are incredibly slow to heal. I'm guessing it will be another 1 or 2 years for the wounds to close completely. I actually consider myself fortunate that things aren't a lot worse. Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. It kills a lot of people every year.

My wife bought the machine as a surprise for me. It's my main machine now. I like the way it sews and so far it's trouble free.
Rodney
Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 PM

Rodney so sorry to here of you illness but glad you are on the mend. I know you will be fine with a speedy recovery.
Skip