Missing my FW

Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
It's a collector thing. They may have different badges, colors, features etc even though the 'same' model. I have 7, 301's for this reason and I use them all.
i wish i have multiple machines like you. i only got one of a kind except for multiple 27's but i sure am getting there.... getting to having multiple machines per model.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:09 PM

I certainly can understand your reticence at selling the FW to someone "odd" like that. But there is a reason it happened--and one of those reasons is that it afforded you two 301s. You will love them--I hope they are nice and clean and sound good, but if they don't suit you in quietness and performance, you can be the one to work on them. You can't do one thing to the new machines of today. I forgot to look where you are from, but if you were lucky enough to find 301s, you can still find FWs if you keep a sharp eye out. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, but I have 7 Featherweights. They were bought when we had the money and they are my favorite machine. I now say I am saving them for my retirement fund. I do all my piecing on a 1955 FW. Love the stitch it does. My DH jokingly says he has named them Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.
Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Sorry, I just don't get having multiple same machines.

Last edited by twinkie; 09-21-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:58 PM

kalamaquilts,
Singer featherweights are nice little machines, sometimes I need more than one. I have 3, a tan,a black and a repainted purple one.
Sharon in TX
Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
kalamaquilts,
Singer featherweights are nice little machines, sometimes I need more than one. I have 3, a tan,a black and a repainted purple one.
Sharon in TX
Photos needed ~ especially the purple one!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 AM

I understand where you're coming from. We are downsizing and every time I sell a machine, I miss it. Am down to 9 left.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM

My wife's been asking me to sell some of my sewing machines as I am taking over half of our garage and one car sits outside of our house now. She's worried that the paint of the car will fade by sitting outside. Not that it's a newer car (1996) but I think it's just her way of saying 'you've got too much machines!'. I thought I will be able to rehome some but I added quite a few more. I don't even know how much I have. All I know is I've got over 20 machines.

Last edited by singerguy; 09-23-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Well, everyone, a quick update -- I am thoroughly and irremediably afflicted with SMAD. I was browing around on the Goodwill site and saw a poor, orphaned little Featherweight, no case, needle doesn't go up and down according to the listing, and it called to me. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it has the chrome-edge hand wheel, a chrome stitch length lever, but a numbered tension dial. I don't know what kind of face plate it has (striated or scroll). I don't even know if it has a bobbin case! But I saw it was $100, put in a bid, walked away to let fate take its course, and... won it! $101.55, which is a lot of money, and I don't know if I'll be able to get it working, but it's going to be an adventure. Can't wait for it to get here.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
Well, everyone, a quick update -- I am thoroughly and irremediably afflicted with SMAD. I was browing around on the Goodwill site and saw a poor, orphaned little Featherweight, no case, needle doesn't go up and down according to the listing, and it called to me. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it has the chrome-edge hand wheel, a chrome stitch length lever, but a numbered tension dial. I don't know what kind of face plate it has (striated or scroll). I don't even know if it has a bobbin case! But I saw it was $100, put in a bid, walked away to let fate take its course, and... won it! $101.55, which is a lot of money, and I don't know if I'll be able to get it working, but it's going to be an adventure. Can't wait for it to get here.
You never know. I got one of my favorite quilting machines the same way. I watched a Universal clone go unsold for weeks on ShopGoodwill. It was filthy dirty, the light was broken, just an orphan naked machine. I finally took pity on it and won it with a bid of $5.99 +tax. Orphan Annie got a spa treatment, a cute little cabinet for a new home and a new light. She does have one battle scar. What I thought in pics was a stripe of green paint turned out to be what was left of a totally baked on big old green rubber band. I got most of it off, but there's still a skinny green stripe on her front that refuses to budge. She loves to do free motion work.

Cari
Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

The green might come off with tar and bug remover from the car parts store...