Missing Spool Pin

Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM

Default Missing Spool Pin

OK, I'll try this again, I don't have luck replying to the threads. I've been awarded the locked up Red Eye in the four drawer cabinet for $50. YES!! It's bare bones, no attachments, but I don't care. What I do care about is the missing spool pin. Where do you get them, how does one go missing and is it hard to put on? Will take lots of oil & elbow grease to get this machine working, but I do want one and this to me is a good deal.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Janie,

You can get most of what you need for a 66 ( a lot of other machines too ) at Sew-Classics.com.
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/
Their spool pins: http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Spoo...-Felts_c15.htm are not expensive at all. Currently a whoppin 49¢ per each.

The spool pins on the 66 machines are a tap in. If the pin is not broken off in the hole, it's just missing, all you do is slip the tapered end into the hole and smack it with a hammer. Of if your kinda timid like I was the first time, "tap" it. When I tapped it in, it fell out the first time I used the machine. After that I smacked it and it stayed put. If the pin is broken off in the hole ....... ewwww I'm not sure what to do then as I've never had that problem ... yet.

Good luck on that machine. As for the oil I'd suggest Tri-Flow as it seems to free up the sticky parts a bit quicker than the regular oil. Sew-Classic has that too.

Joe
Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 PM

If, as Joe suggested, the spool pin is broken off, then you may need to use a free standing spool holder. I use one for my embroidery machine all the time and it feeds the thread very smoothly.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 AM

You can drill out a broken off spool pin if there's not enough sticking up to grab ahold of with a pliers. Turn the machine on the side so you don't have shavings falling down inside the machine, and when the broken end finally falls off, you stand a better chance of finding it. Sweep around with one of those strong extension magnets.

Sew-classic.com is GREAT for all these little parts and "stuff" that we need for our vintage machines. And she's a whiz with electrical stuff, so she can help you figure out what you need for replacement electrics.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Mine's missing one too. But ok with just one.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks, Joe. Not sure if there's anything left in the hole, there's nothing sticking up, so I thought it was stolen; didn't even think it could be broken off. I hope it's totally outta there. There's not any spool pin on the machine.

I'll check out Sew Classics for a pin & oil. You guys are all so helpful !!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM

If you get one of the taller spool pins with holes in them, they're helpful for using a thread stand and cone thread with your machine - the thread will follow the thread path.