Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock >

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 AM

Hmm - Threading and tension were never a problem with my Huskylock serger. But back when I was sewing for income, I used it almost as much as my regular machine, so maybe I just got really use to it. I used it on a wide variety of items, so was always adjusting the tension to get the threads to lay right when I made a change, but once set I was good to go for that fabric.

I really like doing the narrow rolled hem on netting and lace - did a lot of bridal stuff with it.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:35 AM

a serger may not look difficult to thread, but they can be a nightmare! Had a Pfaff Hobbylock, serged beautifully, but on the rare occasions when a thread broke; it could take hours to thread. Purchased the cheapest air threading serger I could find and love it (babylock). As mentioned before, I would make sure to get a manual. Good luck, sergers are a wonderful tool to have.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 AM

Well my service manual showed up today.

Not a large booklet, but invaluable stuff in there.

I've already discovered that the 14u32 and 14u64 have different adjustments on the looper cams. Same cams and loopers, just different settings.

The book just paid for itself (7 bucks) right there....
Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 AM

That's really odd, I wonder why? I would have thought the underbits would have been the same... maybe just slightly different timings for the lack of a second needle thread?

What sounds even better is that it sounds like you manual is legible, unlike the photos on the 401 adjuster's manual (the copy floating around the web is a scan of a bad photocopy)
Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
That's really odd, I wonder why? I would have thought the underbits would have been the same... maybe just slightly different timings for the lack of a second needle thread?

What sounds even better is that it sounds like you manual is legible, unlike the photos on the 401 adjuster's manual (the copy floating around the web is a scan of a bad photocopy)
Oh,they're the same bits alright. Just with different adjustments.

Or different timing if you prefer.

The service manual is an original singer one you yup, legible as it gets.

Last edited by great white; 02-21-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Does the service manual detail both machines then? They're not still small and green covered like the ones from the 50s are they?
Old 02-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Read the title then a few comments --I've had the singer 14-64u --used since the 90's and gave it lots of knit fabric such as t-shirts ---I am sewing machine savey enough that I understand the threading --has color coded route.
the needles are a ball point tip model so not a problem. Was just reading my manual (which I wouldn't do with out) today to see how to make rolled hems --You have to change the face plate which came in original accessories box.
I certainly would buy another one for that price as I tried to buy a second to keep in Fl because now I bring it back and forth from Canada. Your price was CHEAP!
Only thing I see is the plastic turns color which makes it look bad from the ones I've seen. Have other thread holders that are similar plastic and being in the light has turned them yellow too --doesn't turn color evenly or I wouldn't mind.
If these comments don't fit in with the ones already mentioned I am sorry.

Last edited by Mornigstar; 02-22-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:16 PM

Decided I would go back and read all the comments --enjoy your machine. I think you got a bargain .

Sure would like that recipe for taking the yellow from the plastic as I tried many things.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:31 PM

This is the whitening project that I know about:
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

The recipes and usage links are on the left side.

I tried it on my 14u64A and had a little improvement with just the drugstore strength peroxide. The "organic market" had stronger and I have it in the garage waiting for me to try again.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 AM

The reason the timing is different between the 3 and 4 thread serger is because the loopers will have to throw the thread farther to accommodate the 2nd needle which is on the left side. Good luck with your project. Personally, I wouldn't bother to convert it and risk messing it up to the ire of your wife. Like I said, good luck.