Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock >

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
I've also discovered that the 14u32 and the 64 use different presser feet, needle plate and feed dogs. I found this when I fitted the 14u64 needle clamp to the 14U32 needle bar. The needles are centered on the shaft, they just don't clear the foot. The needle plate is also is a different design in the area where the needles pass through.
Are you sure? SPO says they're the same plates:
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/rol...er-412784.aspx
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/nee...er-412688.aspx

I have a spare RH plate for you if you need it but not the regular plate. Which one was the damaged one?

I'm a certified auto technician, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and a Flight Engineer (amongst a bunch of other things).

Designing, building and fixing machines are a way of life for me.

I never tire of it.

It's my "thing".

I'm a, well I guess I can't say retired, how about escaped IT professional. I've fixed way too much stuff in my career, and I take care of the vehicles and bikes when DH doesn't get to them fast enough but I still seem to reach a point where I lose the enthusiasm and scale back the intensity with which I do some things.

Not to sound condescending, but it's just a sewing machine. It's not hard to fathom how it works or how to fix/adjust it. I quite literally am the "rocket scientist".

As I mentioned: machines are my thing.

Fixing a sewing machine is a nice relaxing change of pace from the more complex tasks I do all day long.

Just as people here find sewing relaxing and enjoyable, so do I find working on something as simple as a mechanical sewing machine.

Agreed. That's why til this weekend, there wasn't even a computerized machine sewing machine in this house. Possible exception is the longarm... I really should lift those covers and see... Up until she arrived, I tinkered more than I sewed. Now I probably quilt more than I tinker.

Sewing machines were such a break from the complex issues that can come up in computers and networks, and few people will tell you it's life or death if their sewing machines don't work, so way less pressure.

Even the electronic machines are not really that complex comparatively.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 AM

Yup, this one clears the double needles on a 64 :http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/nee...er-412730.aspx

This is the one clears the single needle:http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/nee...er-412688.aspx

You can see the diff in the needle area. I know it says "compatible" with both on the web site. All I can figure is that is because it will bolt to the chassis and it will work with just a rh needle. But a double will definitely hit. At least, it does on the one I have in front of me here. The extra slot on the double plate would clear the second needle.

The presser foot is the same way. The 64 has a double opening:

The 32 presser foot thats on the machine hits the double needle right where the slot on the 64 foot is...

Last edited by great white; 02-25-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 AM

I bet why they're "compatible" is that they're backward compatible, but not forward. You could use the 64A plate on the 32A machine the slots are just bigger (which will maybe be a smidge less friendly to very light fabrics), but not the other way around. The holes for the screws will line up on both, and it will work, but obviously what you mention with needles being in the wrong place for the 32A plates makes them unsuitable for the 64A machine, and in fact you'd have to have the 64A plates to do the conversion you want to do. I suspect most if not all of the parts in your ebay box of goodies will work for you, upgrade or no.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I bet why they're "compatible" is that they're backward compatible, but not forward. You could use the 64A plate on the 32A machine the slots are just bigger (which will maybe be a smidge less friendly to very light fabrics), but not the other way around. The holes for the screws will line up on both, and it will work, but obviously what you mention with needles being in the wrong place for the 32A plates makes them unsuitable for the 64A machine, and in fact you'd have to have the 64A plates to do the conversion you want to do. I suspect most if not all of the parts in your ebay box of goodies will work for you, upgrade or no.
Sounds about right to me!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:14 PM

This page does a pretty good job of showing the differences in the plates: http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page97.html
Old 03-01-2014, 01:52 PM

My new loopers showed up thursday. I had to fly a medivac 293 nm offshore to pull a cardiac patient off a fishing vessel, so I only got to it today.

The machine is torn down to just the aluminum chassis and mechanism for a thorougn cleaning. The plastic is soaking to restore the white.

I installed the loopers and timed it all. Carefully turned it over by hand and then plugged it in for a slow and full speed run.

Runs great!

Now I need the tensioner, needle plate and foot to finish the double needle conversion part. I'll run off a chain stich once it's all installed and see if this is a success or a flop.

Looks good so far.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Banned

"pics or it didn't happen" (and I am referring to the sewing machine, I believe you regarding the rescue, Thanks for your service!)
Old 03-02-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
"pics or it didn't happen" (and I am referring to the sewing machine, I believe you regarding the rescue, Thanks for your service!)
Sure, not much to see though:

Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Banned

Fascinating. SO different from what I usually see... Thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Well, after moderate success with whitening the plastic via means of retr0brite type solutions, I've switched strategies to paint.

The solution whitened the plastic (done over a week or so), but not enough for my liking. It still has a very orange/yellow color to it. It might have worked to bring it back, but it would have taken months of trying. Even then, it would evsntually revert back to its yellowed state and I'd be back at square one again.

So a quick spray of krylon white plastic paint made the end piece the clean fresh white I was after in less than 60 seconds.

I'll do the rest of it tomorrow.

Then its just waiting for a few more parts to show up and some fine tuning.

Last edited by great white; 03-07-2014 at 02:25 PM.