Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock >
  • Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

• Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Old 03-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Well, a quick couple passes and things are mighty bright and white!

Test fit it back together to get an idea of how it will look:

Not bad, not bad at all!

Now it can sit in the sun for years and I don't have to worry about it turning PeePee yellow again.

I have to take it back apart and hit a few more spots I though would be covered but are still visible when put together. Mainly panel seam transitions.

Before:

The 14u64 tension disc sits a little low in the housing, but it works perfectly fine. Still, the misalignment bugs me.

Nothing a pass with the saw and welder cant fix. I'll have to fix the rear thread guide as well.

It was bent and while attempting to straighten it, it snapped. Welder and some file work will fix it up fine.

I left the base and from door unpainted, hoping to maintain some of the original look and labeling. Problem is, however, it just makes it look dirty and dingy. Probably end up painting it as well.

Last edited by great white; 03-08-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Old 03-08-2014, 01:33 PM

Congratulations! It looks great.
    Old 03-08-2014, 01:59 PM
    Power Poster

I really like having a seger. I use it to overcast raw edges of fabrics before washing them - and I would find it valuable to have it if that was the only thing I used it for.

I also use it for finishing varïous seams - it takes away the home made look.
    Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Well, I'd say paint the front panel and put your own model number on it now. It's not exactly a 14u32 anymore now is it?

Out of curiousity, what was the strength of the peroxide that you used in the retr0Bright solution? And what was your thickener? Did you use a UV light or set it in the sun?

It's a good capable machine too. It can Roll Hem, Blind Stitch, Pin Tuck and there's a stitch the manual calls an Ornamental 3 thread stitch but it looks a little like a flatlock of sorts. And that's just what's in the manual. I've seen other plates and feet that reportedly fit it, so it should be able to do even more maybe. The only real things I don't think it does is a cover stitch and it doesn't have differential feed. In all the things I've serged so far (including a lot of stretch knits), the differential feed on the new serger has remained set at 1.0, so it's not that critical a feature for a lot of use. You can often compensate for it with the presser foot pressure.

If you need a rolled hem plate for it, send me a PM. I have a spare one here that's brand new (I bought it when I got the machine, then the lady I bought it from found a "drawer" of stuff for it, including all of the parts I'd replaced.
    Old 03-08-2014, 02:55 PM

I have a 64 from 1992 in hiding waiting for another trip to the repairman. I didn't have any trouble threading it when I was using it heavily, but it consistently broke the lower looper. I wish you luck with yours.
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    Well, I'd say paint the front panel and put your own model number on it now. It's not exactly a 14u32 anymore now is it?

Out of curiousity, what was the strength of the peroxide that you used in the retr0Bright solution? And what was your thickener? Did you use a UV light or set it in the sun?

It's a good capable machine too. It can Roll Hem, Blind Stitch, Pin Tuck and there's a stitch the manual calls an Ornamental 3 thread stitch but it looks a little like a flatlock of sorts. And that's just what's in the manual. I've seen other plates and feet that reportedly fit it, so it should be able to do even more maybe. The only real things I don't think it does is a cover stitch and it doesn't have differential feed. In all the things I've serged so far (including a lot of stretch knits), the differential feed on the new serger has remained set at 1.0, so it's not that critical a feature for a lot of use. You can often compensate for it with the presser foot pressure.

If you need a rolled hem plate for it, send me a PM. I have a spare one here that's brand new (I bought it when I got the machine, then the lady I bought it from found a "drawer" of stuff for it, including all of the parts I'd replaced.
    Retr0brite:

Tried corn starch as thickener, also made just liquid.

Varying strength, most prominent results around 35-40% in liquid form.

Used sunlight and UV lighting.

Soaked for at least 24 hrs at a time. Sunlight during the day, UV lights at night.

While it did help some, the results were not as good as I wanted. Still looked very yellow, enough so that the singer off white on the body looked light bright white by comparison. Then there was the fact that they would yellow again over time and I'd be right back where I started.

Paint turned out to be a better solution for me.

I'll probably just paint the rest and call it a day.

Likely get a "Singer" sticker of some sort so it looks somewhat OEM.

Last edited by great white; 03-08-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    I have a 64 from 1992 in hiding waiting for another trip to the repairman. I didn't have any trouble threading it when I was using it heavily, but it consistently broke the lower looper. I wish you luck with yours.

Sounds like a timing/clearance issue.

My service manual gives specs for both.

Mine was out of spec also and I had to adjust it to clear the needles properly. It can also hit the upper looper if not clearanced properly. At least, it looks so in the service manual....
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Now I need that foot, plate and feed dog to show up......
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Here's the best retr0brite could get it to:

no where near good enough for my liking. If it had gotten it as white as the ring you can see around the hole, I would have been satisfied.

But it just wasn't up to the task. Too far gone I guess.....
    Old 03-08-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by great white
    Here's the best retr0brite could get it to:

no where near good enough for my liking. If it had gotten it as white as the ring you can see around the hole, I would have been satisfied.

But it just wasn't up to the task. Too far gone I guess.....
    I thought it would do a lot better than that, considering the results so many of the people had gotten with the computers and stuff on the Retr0Bright site. Hmm... maybe I won't take mine on after all. Oh well, Peroxide is an excellent cleaner, it's not like it will go to waste.

Originally Posted by great white
    Sounds like a timing/clearance issue.

My service manual gives specs for both.

Mine was out of spec also and I had to adjust it to clear the needles properly. It can also hit the upper looper if not clearanced properly. At least, it looks so in the service manual....
    I had a serger here, the first one I ever serviced, so I was flying by the seat of my pants, and the loopers were hitting each other. I agree, it's likely a clearance issue your service person should have caught.