Model 15 questions

Old 10-14-2012, 03:32 PM

Red face Model 15 questions

Finally found a Model 15, I think it is a 15-91 but not sure. The serial number is AH136054. Can anyone tell me if it is a 15-91 or am I using the wrong manual? The machine needs wiring and I am not sure if all 15’s with potted motors were wired the same. Can someone help with the following questions?
• The Adjusters Manual for 15-91, page 4 is very clear yellow to yellow etc. My problem is that this machine has been rewired before and no colored wires remain. Is it important to get these correct? I would prefer not to have the motor run backwards or anything to produce a lot of sparks and smoke when I plug it in.
• This diagram looks like the controller is hard wired to the machine. Is this correct or is the controller connected to the plug, like it is on a Featherweight?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Ken,

The 15-91 was the only 15 with the potted motor.

There are two basic wiring systems used. One for cabinet machines where the controller cord is wired into the cord block and the power cord just plugs into the cord block.

The other is for portable versions. The controller is wired into the opposite side of the cord from the plug. They are set up different and you don't want to cross them up.

Here is the link to a blog where forum member Rain gives step by step instructions with pictures on how to rewire those machines.
{ http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring }

Joe
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
... think it is a 15-91 but not sure
....if all 15’s with potted motors were wired the same.
....no colored wires remain.
....Is it important to get these correct?
...diagram looks like the controller is hard wired to the machine. Is this correct or is the controller connected to the plug, like it is on a Featherweight?
Hi Ken,

If the machine (with your serial number) has a potted motor, it is most likely a 15-91.
A photo always helps when asking questions.
No, not all 15-91s are wired the same. Usually, cabinet-mounted one way, case-mounted another.
The colors have to do with the terminals 1, 2, & 3. Look for the yellow dot around the number on the terminals. Have you looked at the terminals?
Yes, it’s VERY important to get them correct.
Most times, the controller is hard-wired to the machine for cabinet application.
Most times, the controller is hard-wired to the plug for portable case application.
I suggest that you either do a lot of research on wiring a 15-91, or take it to someone else to help you.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM

Thanks to you both for your help. I know now that the disgram I am looking at is for cabnit mount. The question that I did not ask well is about the motor. The motor leads are to go to black and red. If I mix the red and black from the motor will I damage the motor? These old plugs were not polarized and I was thinking they get switched every time the pug is turned. Am I wrong on this?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM

No, you are not wrong about the polarization. But, if you read the tutorial I put the link in for, Rain tells you which lead should be black and which should be red. His photos clearly show the colors on the wiring block too. So even if yours is gone, you can repaint them or just follow his pictures.

I have the same situation with the 15-91 I have to rewire. All the insulation is gone. I'll have to follow Rain's tutorial on which color goes where. Not that hard.

Joe
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM

Joe Thanks I read that and missed the location of the colored wires. I will take another look at the tutorial. The wire to the motor is still good on mine because when it was rewired 16/2 heater cord was used from the plug block to the motor. I was hoping not to go as deep as the turorial went. Do you have a copy of the 15-91 Adjusters Manual? If not PM me and I will send you one.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Ken,

If the wiring from the block to the motor is still good, there's no reason to go that deep. What parts of the wiring is bad?

I don't know if I have that manual or not and they are burried. I'll PM you in a few.

Joe
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM

Joe,
The power cord and controler cord from the block out. The lamp cord is questionable. The cord from the motor is the good cord.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 AM

Ken,

I think we need to determine what you have.

Can you post some pics so we'll know exactly what set up your machine is using.

Joe
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Ken,

I think we need to determine what you have.

Can you post some pics so we'll know exactly what set up your machine is using.

Joe
Wiring 15-91
My wiring plan is attaching the motor leads to #2 and #3 (I am not sure what one is red). The light will attach to #1 and #3. Power and controller are connected to the Power plug. Option would be hard wiring the controller, by connecting the controller to #1 and #2. I plan on using prewired cords.
Attached Thumbnails 15-91-wiring-10-15-2012-3.jpg