Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Craigslist find this weekend >

My Craigslist find this weekend

My Craigslist find this weekend

Old 06-23-2015, 10:30 AM

Default My Craigslist find this weekend

I am over the moon excited! I've been waiting to share until I had the item in my possession and could get a few photos.

I saw an ad on Craigslist last Friday night that caught my attention. I check the Bay Area because they have a lot more available there than my local ads.

Some of the ads in there are an hour or two away but others can be twice as far. I always check out ALL the ads related to sewing because you just never know what it will be and if it's something I really, really want I could be persuaded to drive some distance!

I checked out an ad for "Antique Sewing Table" and about swallowed my tongue when I saw the ad.
I hollered to hubby asking who do we know it that area??!! He tells me his sister is right near there and I am yelling to get her enlisted to pick up this item ASAP. The poor man thinks I am crazy and I am
already calling the advertiser and telling her FOR SURE I want it. Of course his sister is not home and I am fit to be tied. I arrange with the seller to keep her informed and either will get my sister to pick up
in the morning or we will drive out Sunday for it. I really don’t want to leave it that long though.

You know that feeling when something yummy is on Craigslist and you just know someone else will get
to it first? or snipe you somehow?It's like after you talk to them, you really want them to take the ad down so no one else can see it lol.

Later that night we hear back from the sister and she can get it for me in the morning. Yesssss! Of
course I barely sleep all night tossing and turning with anticipation. My sister-in-law lets me know in the morning that she has paid for it and picked it up. “It’s cute. A little weathered
though.” Ahahaha! She is being very polite not to mention the missing knob as well. I am sure she
thinks I am 100% crazy.

What is it you are wondering? A Singer Featherweight cabinet No. 68!

We drove down yesterday to visit with family, see a concert and pick up the table. The table is worn and missing a knob but I am very pleased overall with the condition. A leg is loose and there is some lifting veneer but only one tiny little piece is missing. I have a bit of a project ahead of me but one that will be very rewarding.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0912-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0887-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0899-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:45 AM

I am so proud for you. I can't wait to see it after a few spa-treatments!

Does the little drawer pull out?

Oh I am in lust, and envy, and possibly greed. Do you know how hard it will be for me to back away from these deadly sins???
Old 06-23-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
Does the little drawer pull out?
*Big huge smile! The little wood bin to hold the accessories is screwed into the side wall. I thought it might pull out or swing out too-but no. The accessories are in easy reach though since you can flip up the extension bed on your featherweight and the bin is right below it.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Where does the smooth oval top go? Does it flip to the back, or do you lay it to one side when the machine is in its pocket?

Is the machine bolted to the cabinet and then folded down into the cabinet, or do you just lift it off and it in the cubby behind the doors?

This whole set-up is just sew sweet!

I'm a nosey-parker. Is the harlequin-esq table to the right also a sewing table?

Last edited by Caroline94535; 06-23-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
Where does the smooth oval top go? Does it flip to the back, or do you lay it to one side when the machine is in its pocket?

Is the machine bolted to the cabinet and then folded down into the cabinet, or do you just lift it off and it in the cubby behind the doors?

This whole set-up is just sew sweet!

I'm a nosey-parker. Is the harlequin-esq table to the right also a sewing table?
Yes the table to the right came to me with a sad little Singer Rocketeer inside.

The Featherweight cabinet is planned so you can set the machine inside the bottom cabinet to the right when not in use. Those little pieces of wood help it to stay in place. The top piece lifts off and you set it to the side when you want to sew. Then your machine just sets in the bracket on top just like in a card table. Underneath where you had the machine stored, the bottom piece folds up to give you some knee room.

Here is a photo of the top piece flipped over so you can see how it sets in place.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0911-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

WOW, no wonder you were so excited. Cute cabinet and I have never seen one before. Enjoy it!! You might make something for your SIL like a mug rug or potholders just to say a BIG thank you.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Good job! I'm still looking for one.

And yes, even old guys like me go through those same emotions when a purchase is "in motion". I've even caught myself not wanting to move away from a prized item that I've placed the winning bid on at an auction, lest something might happen to my prize. I carefully watch the crowd file past my prize as the auctioneer moves along to additional auction lots, but I stay right there "on guard" in some kind of strange way...when in truth, they probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to that piece of junk if they hadn't had to on their way to the "good stuff"....and from the look on their faces, they're probably thinking to themselves as they file past: "Eeuuwww, I wonder who got stuck with that dreadful thing?"

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-23-2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Good job! I'm still looking for one.

And yes, even old guys like me go through those same emotions when a purchase is "in motion". I've even caught myself not wanting to move away from a prized item that I've placed the winning bid on at an auction, lest something might happen to my prize. I carefully watch the crowd file past my prize as the auctioneer moves along to additional auction lots, but I stay right there "on guard" in some kind of strange way...when in truth, they probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to that piece of junk if they hadn't had to on their way to the "good stuff"....and from the look on their faces, they're probably thinking to themselves as they file past: "Eeuuwww, I wonder who got stuck with that dreadful thing?"

CD in Oklahoma
Ahahaha! It's nice to hear I'm not the only one.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:47 PM

Woohoo!! What a find! Congratulations!

I know what you mean...I see a machine and it just worms its way under my skin and lays eggs in my heart, like a parasite. I just won a machine on Sunday that I LITERALLY dreamed about for 3 nights in a row before I finally bid on it. I just HAD to have it, I was obsessed and it needed to become mine!!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Woohoo!! What a find! Congratulations!

I know what you mean...I see a machine and it just worms its way under my skin and lays eggs in my heart, like a parasite. I just won a machine on Sunday that I LITERALLY dreamed about for 3 nights in a row before I finally bid on it. I just HAD to have it, I was obsessed and it needed to become mine!!
Sewnoma, I won a machine yesterday that I threw a bid at on a lark! I had no doubts my weaselly little .99 would be buried under other bids as the week went by and then yesterday I went and checked and there were NO other bidders! I won a black 306 for .99 and shipping. I am dumbfounded.