Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My first Featherweight- but what is it? >

My first Featherweight- but what is it?

My first Featherweight- but what is it?

Old 06-14-2015, 03:35 PM

This machine could be my mother's featherweight's twin. Hers was purchased in 1947. The face plate and decals indicate pre 1950 although a few 1950 models still had the scrolly face plate but Singer was phasing it out as the striated (stripy one) was cheaper to produce. Does your machine have the full tray to hold the attachments in the case? That is another clue that this machine is probably late 1940's.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:12 PM

Shelbie the case is not complete. I have a foot pedal, case and incorrect book. No attachments, so unfortunately we can't use that for comparison. This also has the gold scrollwork on it, but a lot has been worn off from the fabric and sewing over the years.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley M View Post
I was lucky enough to find and buy my first Featherweight yesterday. She must've had a shady past because she has had her serial number filed off. We have tried rubbing it with paper and soft pencil but she will not give it up. My question is whether or not there is another way to find out the serial number or how I can even identify what model this might be. It was purchased with a case, and it has the silver scrollwork rather than the lines on the side plate by the thread guides. Can anyone tell me what model this is or where I can find further information? Thank you. (The SINGER book that came with it does not appear to be the right one, it is for a portable and not a Featherweight so it doesn't help much. Although it was interesting!)
Well, looks like it may have been repainted because there absolutely no decals. I can see some details that help to age (assuming that it is the original end plate and Singer badge). The case, if original to machine will provide more information as to age. There were some small changes over the years to the case. The things that I need more info on are: the way the handle looks and how it is attached, if there is a tray in the case or if there is a bracket on the underside of the lid of the case and if no tray then what the little accessory tray that goes on the left side looks like (a couple of small changes to it).
Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 AM

Mine is from 1948 and has same decals as yours, but has the striated face plate. So I am assuming yours is older than 1948.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 AM

It has not been repainted, the decals are in place but worn. I took photos of the case in the areas you mentioned. There is nothing on the inside lid of the case. No tray. The case is wood though. In the little bit of research that I did I have noticed the following that might be relevant: The silver wheel where the bobbin is placed for winding is not solid, it is hollowed out. The decals stop at the bobbin thread holder on the base and do not go around the corner. The base is one solid piece with a hole for the plug connection to come through. It is not two pieces. I am attaching photos, if I missed anything, let me know and I will be happy to take more. Thanks for your help. Shelley[ATTACH=CONFIG]522423[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522424[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522425[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522423[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522426[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-1.jpg   photo-2-1-.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-2.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 10:28 AM

She looks lovely! Very similar to my FW which was my dear late mother's and the one I learned to sew on as a child of 8 or 9.
My manual say 221-1 and I have a receipt dated August 1947...bought for $49.00 in the NYC area.

Those letters/numbers look like: 2253 - - - ??? I believe, if I recall, there is also a tag/plate somewhere that says whether it was "made in England" ...

Take the bottom off... you'll have to do that anyway to oil and lube it. FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS IN THE MANUAL. I have one but you're lucky to even have the cover!!!

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:42 AM

My case has that same bracket in the bottom (I'm assuming for an oil can?). Mine came with the lift-out tray that covers the whole machine; yours may just be missing(?).
Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 AM

Hello again!
I asked about your machine on the FW board on Yahoo, and I got several responses. Someone who definitely studies the fine details about FWs and their dates of manufacture narrowed the likely dates down to 1940-46. That is based on the type of handwheel (with chrome), the tension assembly (numbered), the placement of the "Singer" decal on the lamp cover, the faceplate and the location of the bobbin tensioner.
Hope that helps!
Ila
Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM

I have heard there are three places the serial number is. Google it more and you will find how to locate them.
Nice little machine it is a 221 and the manual can be gotten from Singer for free.

Ethel
Old 06-16-2015, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had heard only of two places to locate the serial number: bottom plate, which is obvious, and under the arm. I have still not been able to discover where that is, and if anyone knows I hope they will tell me. I will have to do some research and find out the third location.