My First Industrial Machine

Old 09-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Default My First Industrial Machine

Well, here it is, an Adler 'Klasse 98':

It was installed in a k-leg table with foot pedal, knee controller, Mitsubishi clutch motor rated at .5 hp, articulated lamp, and spool tower. (I took it apart for transport and haven't put it all back together.) Factory spec says 2000 spm but the seller says she was told it's 'tweaked' for close to 2600 (probably changing the pulleys). Max stitch width is 8mm but it does a beautiful straight and is very powerful. This thing could sew right through my fingers if I'm not careful.

I tried researching this particular model and apparently it's a medium duty machine relative to other industrials, for all-purpose sewing of leather, canvas, making awnings, sails, upholstery, etc. Apparently it's especially sought-after among the sailing community. Who knows. It's a rarer model and manuals (service and owner's) are hard to find. I really like it but it needs a very good cleaning, oiling, lube, tuning inside and out. I will replace the table with a t-leg and will equip it with a Servo. It's certainly not pretty but it is vintage.

Anyway, transporting it consumed most of last Saturday and the following day I purchased yet another Adler, another 187 domestic but the earlier version than the one I bought last month:

It's a beautiful machine but I haven't even touched it except to move and photograph it. I purchased this while on a trip up into Abbotsford, Canada and Lynden, WA to visit my grandmother's grave. (And sorry for the dark and crummy pictures. The camera is still new and this evening's light is quickly fading in a rain storm.)

So, two Adlers in as many days. A fun weekend. Now let's see -- which two machines am I going to have to get rid of?
Attached Thumbnails p1000358-640x640-.jpg   p1000357-640x640-.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Great looking machines! The accessory tin must be the icing on the cake.
Rodney
Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Yeah, that tin is a great design. Check out the Wonder Wheel-sized bobbin winder! I also love the paddle length lever and the extra lamp mount on top of the nose that doubles as a thread guide. I haven't even wiped off the years of oil, fingerprints, grubby kid stains and splatters, etc. Lots of amber oil varnish, too. I'll post better pics.

Based upon my few minutes running the 98, I'm smitten with industrials and there's no turning back.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

I agree cool machines and cool tin.
I just recently bought an industrial too, but you've definitely got the bragging rights with this one. Mine's for leather/canvas etc. too but it's a portable ss mini walker.

Cari
Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post

Based upon my few minutes running the 98, I'm smitten with industrials and there's no turning back.
Yep. I worked in a garment factory for a little while and didn't sew at home for a few years after that because my home machine was just too slow and boring after sewing on the big ones at work.

Cari
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM

I imagine that working on them every day is a great education in how to tune and maintain them as well as developing an affinity for the balance between speed and power in relation to various materials.

I can't quite believe the direction this hobby is taking.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Banned

I was on the production line, all I did was sew what I was told to every day. The same thing all. day. long. As fast as possible. If something happened to a machine,, a tech was right on it and we moved to a different machine. We did nothing to the machines except sew.

Cari
Old 09-24-2014, 03:54 AM

I also did a short term in a sewing factory - they made heavy winter coats (MN) and had needle feed machines. The needle came forward and down, and then back while in the fabric so there was no chance of any type of fabric creep between the layers. Which was needed dealing with quilted linings and other layers of insulation.

They had some neat specialty machines, and I may have stayed there longer but got put on zippers - which I hated. The floor supervisor was a petty tyrant- a man in charge of all the women workers, and he loved to play little power games. I was told by one of the old timers that if he knew I didn't like zippers, he'd never take me off doing them. After realizing the women that had been there many years were making quite low wages, I decided there were better ways to make a living than factory sewing. I was also informed at that job - I could not consider myself a true seamstress until I had sewing my fingers. So I guess at 53, I'm still not a true seamstress LOL! - but those needle hopping machines where scary - because of how they feed, you get your hand in the way and you're going to get several holes before the machine stops.

Many years later I worked for JC Penneys in their custom drapery factory. I never did any sewing, my job was tabling - or laying out hemmed curtains for setting length and what ever type of top they needed (pocket or pleated). Was pretty neat I was always on my feet. On a side note, the workers that did the pleating worked under black light to see the pleat marks, and they had the strongest, fastest growing fingernails. The best part - we could buy the fabric scraps really cheap -

Last edited by Macybaby; 09-24-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:25 AM

Two Adlers in as many days! You are truly blessed! I would love an Adler. but so far have not had one walk through the door. The black on is real looker.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:50 AM

Falling in love with your 187. Attaching a photo of my Adler model 23. She is currently residing at my DD's house in her treadle cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails necchi-544-adler-treadle-009.jpg  

Last edited by Caroline S; 09-24-2014 at 06:55 AM.