Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My First White Rotary: Need a little help >

My First White Rotary: Need a little help

My First White Rotary: Need a little help

Old 08-01-2014, 02:19 PM

Default My First White Rotary: Need a little help

Can anyone tell me what the lever is for on my White Rotary sewing machine. I just picked her up at a second hand store. I have never used a White before. It is really cool and works fine. I just don't know what this is for.
I am including a picture.
Attached Thumbnails 20140801_113420.jpg   20140801_112217.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Yours must be newer than mine, cause that lever is not on mine, just a flat metal plate. What happens when you move it?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Did you get a manual with it? You may want to look for the serial number and go from there. I'm sure there is someone on this board who has one just like It. Looks to be in good shape. Have you tried to sew a sample piece of material on it?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 PM

I want to say it's the upper tension. That's where the upper tension is on my White Rotary. But mine's older, and looks a little different.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:24 PM

According to the manual that lever is part of the upper tension. It is normally left on 'S'. 'Z' loosens the tension slightly when using the Zig Zag attachment. '*' tightens slightly for using the ruffler or shirring foot. 'M' tighten even more for some decorative stitches.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:04 PM

It sews great and I had it on the M. I thought it may have something to do with the tension although the main tension dial in on the front.
I don't have the manual but I found a downloadable one for a different model that is almost the same, except for this lever. The one in the manual has the flat plate like the one mentioned by QuiltingVagabond.
Mine is 1954. I called Husqvarna and gave them the serial number and they look it up for you. Pretty cool.
Thank you for the help. I will experiment with it. I have no extra feet with this one. Just one bobbin. Thats ok. I don't need the extra feet. Maybe a couple more bobbins.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:22 PM

I believe your model is a 77.
For a manual try: http://www.singerco.com/support/instruction-manuals . In the search box type in W77 ('W' being for White).

Put the lever on 'S', then use the front dial to set the acual tension. You can use the lever for fine tuning when using attachments without having to move the dial.

Originally Posted by kpelletier83 View Post
It sews great and I had it on the M. I thought it may have something to do with the tension although the main tension dial in on the front.
I don't have the manual but I found a downloadable one for a different model that is almost the same, except for this lever. The one in the manual has the flat plate like the one mentioned by QuiltingVagabond.
Mine is 1954. I called Husqvarna and gave them the serial number and they look it up for you. Pretty cool.
Thank you for the help. I will experiment with it. I have no extra feet with this one. Just one bobbin. Thats ok. I don't need the extra feet. Maybe a couple more bobbins.

Last edited by Mizkaki; 08-02-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:30 AM

Thank you Mizkaki for helping me find the correct Manual. It is funny though.....there is no mention in the manual of that lever. I will just put it on S and leave it there. No attachments and no plans to do anything fancy with it anyway.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 AM

The lever is dicsussed on page 15 of the manual which is page 9 on that PDF.
You will love this White 77. They are great machines. The most common problem with the Whites are flat spots on the rubber motor pulley. Repair shops should have replacements. To prevent those flat spots place some kind of spacer between the motor and machine when you won't be using the machine for a few weeks or longer. I use a 4" piece of an old yard stick, which is long enough to stick up and be seen so I won't start sewing with the motor disingaged.

Originally Posted by kpelletier83 View Post
Thank you Mizkaki for helping me find the correct Manual. It is funny though.....there is no mention in the manual of that lever. I will just put it on S and leave it there. No attachments and no plans to do anything fancy with it anyway.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Thank you Mizkaki. I totally looked over that. I wasn't reading under the pictures. I have seen the Motor pulleys online. I will need to replace it soon. It isn't slipping yet but it is pretty indented.