Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My new Singer 201-2, wiring problems >

My new Singer 201-2, wiring problems

My new Singer 201-2, wiring problems

Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 PM

I have Helen, my grandmothers 201-3 from 1951-2 and some years ago I had to replace wires, went to singer store, but the set of wires and with a screwdrive it took about 10-15 minutes. IF you find motor doesn't work, then replace, but why if it works fine, just get the new wires, put them on and let us know how she goes. Great machines.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 PM

You folks are wonderful - as usual. I'm ordering the replacement wires and will see what happens. Wish me luck that it is the only problem. It really is a nice machine and I'm looking forward to using it.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Joyce,

Besides Rains tute for rewiring the potted motors, linked up above, here's a few comments I made when I did a 15-91 potted motor:
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t205360.html }

Joe
Old 05-01-2020, 01:26 PM

Default Just looking at my machines... I have 3 different machines

Just found your site. I have 3 machines...
the newest I inherited from my late Mother in Law... it's a Touch & Sew 648. I found out, one of the gears, to the right of the cam, has broken. I was in the middle of making some masks for Hubby and I.
I thought, some one up there, thinks it's time for me to get my Way older machines, out of the shed. I have a Manual #127 shuttle bobbin and according to ISMACS.net and it's serial number ( B353288 ) it was made May 14th 1904.
it has a 5 draw cabinet. The table top had been in a picture window and when it rained, it leaked on it. BUT the machine was Puff !
I recieved this as payment for helping to do a house clean out. It still had the puzzle box with it .
I also picked up a machine from my 83 yr old cousin. The machine only had one owner... her mother, who passed away 5 years ago at the age of 103. The cousin didn't use it and I thought I could pick up some extra attachments, if I took it.
It comes in the original #40 cabinet.
It came with 2 booklets. One for Singer electric machines class 201-2. The other Booklet for electric machines
101-3 & 101-11. I searched ( via mobile) the ISMACS site.. it looks confusing...
It looked like it might be a #201-2.
But I went out to the shed and looked over the booklets again and it looks like I have a 101-3.
The wiring from the wall plug to the 3 prong Singer plug, is all falling apart.
Being as it was more than likely made,
about 1927 ( series # AB786114) and it only had one owner ( my great aunt) should I think about going over the wires, from the motor, out the bottom of the machine and down to the 3 prong singer plug, at the back of the cabinet?
replaceing the wire from the 3 prong Singer plug, to the wall, is a definite yes, for replacement.
The great aunt was using white surgical cloth tape, to tape over any bare wires...
and there is lots of it. Lololo
Anyway, I've been bad... very bad to my old machines, putting them in the shed, until I could get to them. And now they need a Good Cleaning.
On the up side... everything on both old Singers, moves freely and under the motor cover, looks like it's brand new.
I did see the Blog of the guy that did the potted motor overhaul. But my motor mounts on the back of the machine and the wires come out 2 holes in the base.
I also should mention, that the flywheel is
3 3/4" in diam. Not quite 4 ". No spokes.

I did take multiple picts.
I'll have to figure out how to post them.

Thanks for the input.
have a wonderful day. :-)
Jen
Old 05-01-2020, 03:08 PM

The Singer 101 is a fine machine, and well worth repairs, which you can likely do yourself. At victoriansweatshop.com there are several people who are very knowledgeable and helpful regarding the 101. Stop in, introduce yourself, and browse through some of the existing threads on the 101. You'll see why people love it. Start a new thread for your 101 repairs, that way your questions won't get buried.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:12 PM

Welcome, Jen.

I think gears are available for the 648 at https://store.tandtrepair.com/gears.html At least that is the site that many have referred to, especially for slant shanks. There may be a delay, due to the fact that they are not located in mainland USA and because of the pandemic.

I think you might have a typo as you have a 1904 #27, with puzzle box. Nice. The 127's did not show up until about 8-9 years later.

A lot of the attachments for the 27 will fit on the 101.

We like pictures. You will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button,

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)