Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My 'Other' Baby - Dressmaker SS 2402 >

My 'Other' Baby - Dressmaker SS 2402

My 'Other' Baby - Dressmaker SS 2402

Old 06-17-2023, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by SewLola View Post
Sometimes you need to just walk away. Today I went back and tried again, eureka! The zig zag is good, but the stitch length on the straight stitch is really tight no matter what I have to length set to. Good thing I mainly got it just to have a zig zag for heavier fabric.
Awesome!! You are right, sometimes you just need to walk away - great job!!

The stitch length issue is a common issue with this machine, something has gummed up that mechanism pretty good. Take off the top of the machine and look down and to right. Turn the knob until you see the mechanism move, it's about the middle of the machine on the right side, then hit it with some oil and keep moving it. The knob you're turning should eventually feel like it's moving in and out as you turn it, that's how it changes the stitch length. That knob, is also the knob to use to reverse stitch, so push it in and out a few times and just keep working at it. Test it a few times when you're working on it, once you get different stitch lengths, hit it again with oil and then close the machine back up. You 'could' hit the knob with the palm of your hand if it's still not budging, sometimes it's just so gummed up that it takes a little bit of force to break it loose. Not too hard, just hard enough that the button pushes in, then try it again. Just be careful, that's how I had to break mine loose, but I had a mud dauber's nest gumming mine up, my serviceman told me that was really the only solution, they would have done it that way, too.

I always recommend this, but once you get it running, take it to get it properly serviced and let them know the problem with the stitch length. They'll be able to get into it much deeper and clean off that mechanism completely and they'll give it a nice tune-up. You'll be shocked just how quiet this machine is once you get it properly serviced, the difference is like night and day.

The offer still stands and will always stand if you want a copy of the manual, look in your private messages, I gave you my email address. I can email the copy to you ASAP.

Again, Congratulations - great job!
Old 07-16-2023, 08:01 AM

I know that this project for you is a few years old now, but I was wondering if I may ask you a question about your dressmaker! I was gifted one a few years ago and it has been running great, but the stitch width knob has suddenly stopped turning. I want to remove the blue faceplate over the knobs and dials so that I can take a look and see what the issue might be, and give it a good cleaning in there. But I can't get the plate to come off over the two switches at the top, the one for the stitch type, and the left right center one. I have unscrewed it and been able to pull it away, but I cannot remove it -- it seems I'd have to break it to get it off. So I was wondering if you were able to remove it, and if so, if you could tell me how. I enjoyed reading your earlier posts, I did much the same when it was given to me and it's been a great machine otherwise. Thanks very much,

Shay
Old 07-17-2023, 04:33 AM

Welcome to QB, Shay. I'm wondering if you have taken the top off? It looks like the stitch width knob is at the top.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-21-2023, 10:20 AM

Shay - Welcome to the boards!

Your best bet is going to be to try to go from the top and not the side. I tried several times to get the side off and I was never successful, I was too afraid that I would break those switches you are talking about. Once you get in from the top, push the knob in and out several times to find the mechanism, make sure to pay attention to everything that's moving and you should be able to troubleshoot where the problem might be. Hit the mechanism with some sewing machine oil since you're there, it could be that something is gummed up. Just whatever you do, don't try to force the knob to turn, you could damage it further.

To me, though, it sounds like maybe a spring or a lever has snapped and if that's the case, your best bet is to take it into a repairman and let them fix it, trying to find second hand parts for this machine can be a migraine inducing episode because there's just not that many left. Most have been scrapped out for the cast iron and aluminum. Even if they don't have the exact part, they may be able to find something that will work.

Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you a scanned copy of the manual for the machine.

Keeping fingers crossed for you!
Old 02-22-2024, 10:06 AM

Default Manuals

Originally Posted by Stacyjay28 View Post
Did you ever find a manual? If so, please tell me where I can find one. I do not sew, but am looking at purchasing one of these and know I will need help. Thanks!
Hello
If you join a vintage sewing machine group. The manuals are usually in their files. When you find your model you can download and print it out.