Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My 'Other' Baby - Dressmaker SS 2402 >

My 'Other' Baby - Dressmaker SS 2402

My 'Other' Baby - Dressmaker SS 2402

Old 04-17-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
Getting this old gal to purr like a kitten is almost complete, I'm happy to report.

Final stitch length per number on the dial was a little bit of a pain, thanks to a bent needle. What I posted earlier about it has stayed true, so I have a wide variety of lengths to work with now. Also cleared up a previously unnoticed issue with the zigzag, when I started working out the lengths, I decided to test the zigzag again and realized I was only able to get one size. I worked the knob and mechanism the same way I did the stitch length and happy to report, I've got all five zigzag lengths.

If anyone is reading this that recently got a hold of one of these machines and can't figure out where the reverse button is on it, it's the actual stitch length knob, just push it in and hold it for a few stitches, then release it and it will continue to sew forward. Mine still felt a little gummed up, but after some oil and pressing and releasing the button, there's been no more issues.

I went on a more aggressive clean and oil yesterday, can happily report there's no more fuzz, lint or gummed up anything inside the machine, when I stitched up the swatch to show the stitch lengths, she was just humming and stitching along with no hiccups. Aside from that small spot of rust on the bobbin plate, this little gal is cleaner than she's probably ever been since she came off of the assembly line. That felt deeply satisfying.

Interestingly enough, this is not a Singer, I got in contact with them via email and had a very lovely exchange with one of their support personnel. I've checked all of the sewing machine manual websites that I can think of and no one has this manual so I'm now down to contacting the manufacturer, who looks to be a company called Euro-Pro. I'll do that this weekend, I've been fighting a small swarm of migraines that's kept me from getting all of this done.

Unless I'm forgetting something, I'm calling this project done. It's been a hair raising, hair pulling experience, but I wouldn't trade a second of time for anything else. I love this old girl, we're as thick as thieves now.
Did you ever find a manual? If so, please tell me where I can find one. I do not sew, but am looking at purchasing one of these and know I will need help. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stacyjay28 View Post
Did you ever find a manual? If so, please tell me where I can find one. I do not sew, but am looking at purchasing one of these and know I will need help. Thanks!
Sadly, I haven't found one yet. It is driving me a little crazy not having one but it's really not that hard to figure out how to run this machine and use it, the only thing I don't know about is the cam set, I still haven't been able to find one of those for this machine. I would love to one day, it's on my list of 'things I really wish I had, but can't find it right now'.

I would say go for it if there's one available, this really is one of those underrated machines, I think and you can always get in touch with me for any help. If you've never had a sewing machine, though, I would highly recommend once you get it in your hands, take it immediately to a sewing machine shop for a good, thorough cleaning. I saved myself some money doing the majority of my own cleaning, but I've been around sewing machines since I was thirteen and have been servicing my own since I was in my twenties. If you're new to sewing machines, it's best to let a professional clean it for you the first time, they'll show you where to clean it on your own and give you some good tips.

You'll be the first I get in contact with if I ever find the manual [img]images/smilies/thumbup.png[/img][img]images/smilies/thumbup.png[/img]
Old 12-10-2022, 05:54 PM

Default A Dressmaker 2402 Belt?

Hello! Thank you for your post
I recently inherited a Dressmaker model 2402. It still works really well, but I'm noticing a smell when it's used heavily, perhaps from the motor. The machine was kept in good condition (covered), but just unused for 20 years. Hoping to pick your brain about this machine!

- Did you buy a replacement belt? If so what did you buy?
- I plan to buy oil, but would love any additional tips for oiling a sewing machine, since this is my first time.
- You can purchase the manual here: https://manualsoncd.com/product/dres...uction-manual/

Also I broke the needle and replaced it with a universal singer (hopefully that works).
Thank you!
Old 12-10-2022, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jamescheap View Post
....<snipped>...
Spam reported
Old 12-15-2022, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kayle View Post
I recently inherited a Dressmaker model 2402. It still works really well, but I'm noticing a smell when it's used heavily, perhaps from the motor. The machine was kept in good condition (covered), but just unused for 20 years. Hoping to pick your brain about this machine!

- Did you buy a replacement belt? If so what did you buy?
- I plan to buy oil, but would love any additional tips for oiling a sewing machine, since this is my first time.
- You can purchase the manual here: https://manualsoncd.com/product/dres...uction-manual/

Also I broke the needle and replaced it with a universal singer (hopefully that works).
Thank you!
The smell can be a few things really, since it sat for so long, it may have acquired some unseen dust, I've had that happen with one of my older machines when I thought the case for it was air tight and it wasn't. If it smells electrical, however, stop using the machine and get it into your service guy, that could be a problem with the wiring and if you continue to use it, you run the risk of shock or fire. It could also be that there is lint or dust inside the motor that's burning off, could also be that the motor itself may be going out, too. Getting it to your service guy, he'll be able to find out what the issue is.

I actually didn't replace my belt, I had to take my machine into my guy to have it looked at after it developed several issues I couldn't troubleshoot on my own. Luckily, he fixed it, I had a timing problem and that's something that's out of my scope. The belt is a toothed belt, so it's going to be more difficult to put one on yourself unless you've done it before and that's something that your service guy will check on if you take it in and he'll replace it for you.

I only use Lilly White oil - it's relatively cheap on Amazon, I've got two full bottles, plus a half dozen of the 1/2 ounce bottles in my travel cases. If I haven't sewn on my machine for a while, I clean and oil, then oil every few days when I'm in a major project. If I'm going to put it up for a while, I also give it another good cleaning and at least oil the needle mechanism. You can 'get by' with mineral oil, but I wouldn't use it unless it's just an emergency.

With this machine, she likes a lot of oil. The more you use the machine, the better you'll be able to understand her when she's saying something to you. That goes with any machine, but this one in particular likes to talk to you, so pay attention. The moment I hear a squeak, I stop what I'm doing, find the squeak and give it a shot of oil. The manual says to oil about every 40 hours of use, that's about how long she'll give me before I hear a squeak. There is a diagram in the manual that shows you the points you need to oil to keep her purring.

Cleaning the machine, I have several sewing machine brushes but I also use some super soft makeup brushes, too and microfiber cloths. There are some small plastic brushes with like a bottle brush head that's soft, I love those to get into the really hard to reach places, they pull out fuzz like no one's business, especially behind and around the hook and race and under the feeds. I also use a small rechargeable vacuum.

I use universal needles all the time with no problems and in all different sizes. Bobbins, however, are a different story, you need to use the metal ones on this machine, it doesn't like the clear plastic ones at all. Only use Singer bobbins, I've tried some other ones and trust me, this machine knew it and gave me an absolute fit and it was a pain to discover that on my own. It was the beginning of the lockdowns and I was making masks, I actually thought I had screwed up my machine somehow and was on the phone with my guy when he asked me what kind of bobbins I had in it. When I told him that they were off-brand, he told me to get it out of my machine ASAP and he ended up shipping me six Singer bobbins out the blue and no charge for them. I put one in and my machine was purring again. I only use Singer bobbins now.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kayle View Post
I recently inherited a Dressmaker model 2402.
I'm sorry, I just looked at the link you sent and that's not the machine I have, check the pictures that I posted and make sure that we have the same machine. If you do have the model that I have, don't use that manual because it's a completely different model. I was able to find a physical copy of my manual, if we have the same machine, let me know and I'll get a digital copy to you. It's going to take a while to do it, I had a laptop that's being shipped for repair (thank god, still under warranty) and my Chromebook doesn't recognize my scanner. I had a digital copy made, but lost it when my HP laptop gave me the white screen of death. Once I get my Lenovo back, I'll scan the manual and send you a copy.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:04 AM

Default Bobbin Case

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
Some break-thru's last night, I'm super excited.

I called my sewing machine guy yesterday to see if he would be able to squeak my two machines in for a tune-up and we got on the subject of my Dressmaker and the stitch length issue. He gave me some advice, to open the machine completely up and check on the condition of the mechanism, chances were high that it was just gummed up and frozen in place, a few squirts of DW-40 and move the knob back and forth should break things up and get it moving properly. If I was able to fix it, then I'd end up saving some money.

I have to admit, if I have to break into a machine deeper than just cleaning it out with a vacuum and our air compressor, then oil it up and put it back together, I get nervous (am I the only one?), so I waited for several hours before I took the plunge. Got out my screwdrivers, WD, brushes, pulled the old gal out of the cabinet and got to work.

To make a long story short, when I was moving the mechanism up and down to see where I was going to shoot the DW into, I saw several bits of dirt fly out of it. I kept going, moved the mechanism up and down and started turning the knob back and forth. Even more dirt came out and the knob was suddenly moving in and out of the housing like it should. I grabbed a piece of paper and manually fed it through the machine, the stitch length was much, much better.

As luck would have it, I'm out of DW-40 but plan to pick some up in the morning, I've got stitch lengths of 6 per inch, 8 per inch, 12 per inch and 21 per inch. I'm thinking a good shot of DW into the mechanism, let it hang out and do its job should free it up and I'll get all the stitch lengths back. Also discovered while I was inside that the belt is fine, I found bits of lint underneath the mechanism to wind the bobbin that wasn't allowing the mechanism to fully disengage. As soon as I cleaned that out, the slipping belt completely stopped.

I closed her back up and put her back in the cabinet, ran a few pieces of fabric through it and stitched up some pinwheels and four squares, it was nice to be able to stitch them up without 25-30 stitches an inch. I'd almost lay money that a dirt dauber got up into the machine and tried to make one of their tubes, realized it was way too small and abandoned it, it was actual dirt that was coming out, and the previous owner did say that she had it stored up in her garage for quite some time before she pulled it out and put it in her garage sale.
I’m cannot seem to get my bobbin casing in correctly, do you have a picture of yours,
Old 06-16-2023, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by SewLola View Post
I’m cannot seem to get my bobbin casing in correctly, do you have a picture of yours,

SewLola - I sent you a private message, I don't have pics of my bobbin case right now, but I can send a digital copy of the manual.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:33 AM

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. This machine was in a garage for years also…hope I get it going this old heavy machines are usually workhorses.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:45 AM

Default Got it Going!

Sometimes you need to just walk away. Today I went back and tried again, eureka! The zig zag is good, but the stitch length on the straight stitch is really tight no matter what I have to length set to. Good thing I mainly got it just to have a zig zag for heavier fabric.