Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
In my possession all these years!  Singer 99K >

In my possession all these years! Singer 99K

In my possession all these years! Singer 99K

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ilovequilts34
I was at a yard sale and saw a case with Singer on the handle and $5 price tag. I opened the case and it was a 99-. I asked the owner if it worked and she said I could plug it in to check it as she was selling it for a neighbor. It worked well enough for me to take a risk. I could hardly wait to get home to examine it further. I cleaned and oiled it, and the stitch is perfect. Heavy little thing, but I love it.
I'm in the same boat - My mom decided that she didn't want to sew anymore, and "who would want my old machine" (a singer 99) - Well - enough said, I took it and really love it - this is the machine that I learned to sew on just a few years ago (hee, hee). All of the attachments are with it as well as the manual. The attachment I love is the seam guide - PERFECT 1/4 INCH SEAMS!

Hope you love yours too - great find!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM

wow nice to find you had a goodie and didn't know it!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, beautiful sewing machine!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM

talk about feeling foolish in 1987 I traded a feather weight in its case and one in a sewing cabinet in for my new home. at the time the new home came to about 700 dollars.after the trade ins I only paid 100 dollars. I miss my older ones but at least the new home has been a great machine. After seeing how in demand they are on the QB I see now why his jaw dropped and he grabbed and ran. They were both in excellent conditions. One was made in 1952. all tachments and manuals. my parents bought them for 50 dollars for me to learn on. The one in the cabinet had what I called a torpedo bobbin amd the brand was white even though it was black.
Glad you remembered about them have fun.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I maybe wrong but what I found was
built in 1956 in Clydebank, Scotland
you're not wrong. i have the exact machine. i bought it at a yard sale with its original cabinet for $10 and it needed a new belt and a new rubber ring for the bobbin winder. i got them from lostn51 here on the board. he has maintenance and cleaning instructions posted on the special interests section and can tell you whatever you need to know.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by cr12cats
talk about feeling foolish in 1987 I traded a feather weight in its case and one in a sewing cabinet in for my new home. at the time the new home came to about 700 dollars.after the trade ins I only paid 100 dollars. I miss my older ones but at least the new home has been a great machine. After seeing how in demand they are on the QB I see now why his jaw dropped and he grabbed and ran. They were both in excellent conditions. One was made in 1952. all tachments and manuals. my parents bought them for 50 dollars for me to learn on. The one in the cabinet had what I called a torpedo bobbin amd the brand was white even though it was black.
Glad you remembered about them have fun.
If it wasn't for the quilting board over the past year, I might have eventually just donated it to someone, not realizing what a treasure I had! Phew!! It has been fun. I'm sorry to hear your story but I always think the hunt for something special is as much fun as finding it, so maybe you can start searching and find replacements one day. And in the meantime continue to enjoy your New Home. My first machine was a Singer I gave to my daughter long ago and she still uses it. Full size and she says made in 1935.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I'm so glad for you to remember this old beauty. Lucky you and enjoy it.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:11 PM

She is beautiful!!!
Glad she was rediscovered!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM

I had a 99, it sewed a wonderful straight stitch, a young niece fell in love with it so I gave it to her. I hope she stil loves it.
Maire
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM

i have one like that and it was from 1956 google it and you can find out about it im not sure but i think it is much like the 66