Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need Advice on Powder Worm eBay Situation. >

Need Advice on Powder Worm eBay Situation.

Need Advice on Powder Worm eBay Situation.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:00 PM

The other post on powder post beetle the article I found said over 120*F internal temperature to kill the worms or deep freeze temperatures for several days. I would try freezing first, less chance of warping the wood.

I'm arguing the other way here. The damage is pretty severe. It's far more than a few little pinholes. There's enough wood eaten away to change the outside shape of the molded corners. Were there any pictures of the worm damage in the pictures? That would be the telling point for me. No pictures of obvious damage no matter the cause would indicate fraudulent intent through omission to me.

To find out if you have a live infestation brush all the wood dust off and wait to see if new dust appears. If it does then the little bugs are still in there feasting. Honestly though if the outside of the base looks like that, the inside is far worse. If you were to cut one of the boards in half it would be just a shell.
Rodney
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I would have. But what I was saying was that if I was in the same situation that the seller here was in, the reply of an offer to "return for full or let's talk about a partial" would be what i would probably send.
I understood that. I guess what I'm saying is I think the seller knew of the problem and if a buyer doesn't complain, so much the better. It's like my dentist saying if the IRS catches me, I'm so far ahead of them, I'll pay off. The seller is doing the same here. If it's an honest mistake OK, but if they are playing this catch-me-if-you-can game, I don't want to play. My dad always said the more one plays with a txxd, the more sXXt one gets on their hands. (Sorry for the vernacular, but that's my dad). I guess I have to not play the game. Thanks for listening, I appreciate it. Through a computer screen is really difficult to communicate.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The other post on powder post beetle the article I found said over 120*F internal temperature to kill the worms or deep freeze temperatures for several days. I would try freezing first, less chance of warping the wood.

I'm arguing the other way here. The damage is pretty severe. It's far more than a few little pinholes. There's enough wood eaten away to change the outside shape of the molded corners. Were there any pictures of the worm damage in the pictures? That would be the telling point for me. No pictures of obvious damage no matter the cause would indicate fraudulent intent through omission to me.

To find out if you have a live infestation brush all the wood dust off and wait to see if new dust appears. If it does then the little bugs are still in there feasting. Honestly though if the outside of the base looks like that, the inside is far worse. If you were to cut one of the boards in half it would be just a shell.
Rodney
Rodney, the severity is what really set me off on this transaction. I really didn't know it was so severe until I re-opened it to send pictures. I'm waiting to get it out of my immediate area so I can dispose of the powder, wood and any infestation, if any. I'm not taking a chance. On the lighter side, like someone said, I think I got a good deal, but really thought it was even better than it is. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Ron, if you keep the base, I think can kill the buggies and larvae by kiln-drying it; this base is small enough to use your oven as a kiln.

(The chemicals are NASTY and not always effective; trust me, I know from a bad experience... :-( )

Perhaps Uncle Skip/Glenn can chime in here as to an appropriate temperature and duration?

One the buggies are dead and gone, you could fill and restore the rest.

Good luck! I know you will find a good solution. And I really don't think dude was out to hose you. I hope you end up feeling good about it :-)
Cecilia, thanks for the encouragement, but the base is not worth saving. I would like to make one similar, but am almost afraid to handle it other than getting it off and burning it. I guess I'll take some better QUICK pictures to have an idea of the original.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM

My thoughts are yes, DO make arrangements for a discounted sale, not that the money matters to YOU at all, but because it will make an impression on the seller. He may not have known that the wood had bug damage but he certainly had to know something was not quite right and failed to mention it.

With the amount of damage I can see, there is likely even more damage inside from what my reading told me. You might be better off to make a nice new display platform that you feel is structurally sound as well as completely bug free.

If you decide to keep the base and work with it, I would do the kiln drying. Here is a site I found to give reference temperatures and times. http://www.thermapure.com/pest-servi...oring-beetles/
Old 05-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Don't panic about them. You're looking at years of infestation in that case. That thing sat for years in someone's basement or a similar spot unattended. The chances of them spreading into your house in a short amount of time are very slim.
Rodney
Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
My thoughts are yes, DO make arrangements for a discounted sale, not that the money matters to YOU at all, but because it will make an impression on the seller. He may not have known that the wood had bug damage but he certainly had to know something was not quite right and failed to mention it.

With the amount of damage I can see, there is likely even more damage inside from what my reading told me. You
might be better off to make a nice new display platform that you feel is structurally sound as well as completely bug free.

If you decide to keep the base and work with it, I would do the kiln drying. Here is a site I found to give reference temperatures and times. http://www.thermapure.com/pest-servi...oring-beetles/
Christy, thanks much. That gives me a starting place.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:06 PM

"Neutral" ebay feedback with description seems appropriate. This will show up in there selling performance for a year as a smudge mark.

Jon
Old 05-02-2014, 04:21 PM

weren't there any photos? Can you link to the closed listing?
If you escalate to PayPal you will get your money back, but you will have to return the machine.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
weren't there any photos? Can you link to the closed listing?
If you escalate to PayPal you will get your money back, but you will have to return the machine.
exactly and the seller already apologized for the mistake and offered you an offer which to me is fair. you already got a good price on the machine and an offer for a partial refund. what else do you want from a seller? give the seller the benefit of the doubt. the ball is in your hand - return it or keep it with partial refund.......