need help please

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Default need help please

ok I just bought a Husqvarna Viking #1. Made in 1995 , sewing and embroidery machine. Problem is that it uses floppy disks for a windows 98 or NT computer. I only have a Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptop . Now the question is ..... do they make a usb connector for this to fit my laptops. ? It has a printer / card reader with a little box that connects to the computer, but the connections won't work with a laptop. Any one know anything I can do? Please contact me with a private message or [email protected]. Thanks so much for any help at all. Noiseynana aka Eileene
Forgot to say I do have a floppy reader that will hook up with a usb cord to my laptop.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I am computer challenged. Hopefully someone will PM you.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

you can purchase an 'exterior drive' for your computer- which has a USB connection and a 'box' that holds the floppies- you connect it to the computer- and load your designs onto the floppies- pop them out & use them in the sewing machine. I've been using my Designer one for many years- it has become more difficult to find floppies- when I find a box of them on sale somewhere I buy it- last one had 50 of them-so I think i'm set for many more years now....the external drive is available at stores like office max- I don't know if walmart or places like that carry them-but probably not since they are not that common an item- most things have moved way beyond floppies.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM

I'm confused. (not surprising for me these days) The machine can use floppies OR this printer / card box? Or the Printer and Card box is a device connected to the computer?
Other than the floppy disks, Can you post a photo of the connector for the sewing machine? The end that would normally connect to the computer? I suspect it's a serial connection. If it is, you "just" need a Serial to USB connector. The better ones aren't too bad to install. The cheap ones can be a challenge.

Is the software available for Win7 / 8? That will be your next challenge...
Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 PM

If your embroidery software will only run on NT (2000) or windows 98 you can create a virtual machine in Windows7 and load Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP or even Fedora (linux) on your virtual machine. A virtual machine will contain another operating system that runs inside windows7 and will allow you to run older programs, especially if your dongle needs an older OS.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:30 AM

I have a #1+. It doesn't use floppies. They are special cards that are programmed with the reader/writer box and dongle (a black box that attaches on the left of the back of the box). They usually are a matched set of card and overlay for the front of the machine to select the design on the card. You need software to send designs to the card or to read the card. Original was Customizing 5 (I have that), I now have 3D, and they now are up to 5D. The reader/writer is a parallel port connector (like a printer cable). They make a parallel to usb connector, but it doesn't work w/the reader/writer box. You can buy an Amazing Little Max box for transferring designs.

http://amazingdesigns.com/little-max-with-card-1

Join the yahoo group Viking1Plus_Orchidea for the best info on the 1+. The group was started by Jan Henning, the authority on several different Viking machines. She is deceased, but her daughter and others are keeping her group active.

The most important thing that you need to remember, is that the 1+ is an awesome workhorse. Love mine.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I'm confused. (not surprising for me these days) The machine can use floppies OR this printer / card box? Or the Printer and Card box is a device connected to the computer?
Other than the floppy disks, Can you post a photo of the connector for the sewing machine? The end that would normally connect to the computer? I suspect it's a serial connection. If it is, you "just" need a Serial to USB connector. The better ones aren't too bad to install. The cheap ones can be a challenge.

Is the software available for Win7 / 8? That will be your next challenge...
Ok I'm pretty sure the floppys go into a reader for the computer. I have one of those. This card reader is for the little do hickys that transfer the design from the computer to the machine. I think !! I've never seen so much stuff for a machine in my cotton pickin life !! I emailed the company and they told me about the usb connector and where to get it. So I did order it. The software is one thing I'm not sure of. If it can be upgraded he didn't say so. I'll ask him again.
YOu are confused??? That is my constant state of mind. hehehe
Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Sorry no help here! I'm doing good just to work on the computer checking emails and getting in on "BOARDS".
Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
If your embroidery software will only run on NT (2000) or windows 98 you can create a virtual machine in Windows7 and load Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP or even Fedora (linux) on your virtual machine. A virtual machine will contain another operating system that runs inside windows7 and will allow you to run older programs, especially if your dongle needs an older OS.
OMG how do I do it? REmember , I'm a real dummy where a 'puter is concerned. hehehe
Old 09-06-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
I have a #1+. It doesn't use floppies. They are special cards that are programmed with the reader/writer box and dongle (a black box that attaches on the left of the back of the box). They usually are a matched set of card and overlay for the front of the machine to select the design on the card. You need software to send designs to the card or to read the card. Original was Customizing 5 (I have that), I now have 3D, and they now are up to 5D. The reader/writer is a parallel port connector (like a printer cable). They make a parallel to usb connector, but it doesn't work w/the reader/writer box. You can buy an Amazing Little Max box for transferring designs.

http://amazingdesigns.com/little-max-with-card-1

Join the yahoo group Viking1Plus_Orchidea for the best info on the 1+. The group was started by Jan Henning, the authority on several different Viking machines. She is deceased, but her daughter and others are keeping her group active.

The most important thing that you need to remember, is that the 1+ is an awesome workhorse. Love mine.
I love this one too. IF I ever learn what all the "stuff " is for. hehehe Wanna sell your old stuff that you don't use anymore. ????