Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with quilting situations  :( >

Need help with quilting situations :(

Need help with quilting situations :(

Old 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM

I would cut out a few little hearts and scatter (applique) them around that place on the quilt. That way it will look like you meant for it to be there. As to the kitty tinkler, I'd would wash the quilt anyway. I always wash mine before I gift them. That way, they are fresh and ready to use when the recipient opens them.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The one my wife brought home is one 9x13 inch terry cloth sheet.

We're gonna check for the multi package ones.

Joe
I've seen those before. The brand name I see here is Carbona or something similar. Been told they're good for like 30 washes but cannot be dried in a dryer because it loses its ability to absorb dye if that happens.
Chris
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 AM

Whip stitch will work for applique. Just use one thread and make them as tiny as possible, close to the edge of the applique piece. If you use the same fabric as the back it won't show much. Good luck, snipped a hole in a hand quilted piece at the very last of the binding. No one ever noticed the patch.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:20 AM

I do the same...always wash a quilt first...several reasons...to see if I missed any areas, fabric coming apart, fraying, to make sure its clean...its been on the floor, table, cats laying on it, my hands etc, I also would reather wash it to have it cringle...its hids all mistakes and it someone else washed it they would think they ruined it. for the second issue...applique...maybe a cat?? If interested I can mail you a fabric cat applique...I have the Accuquilt cat die...the one laying down and the one sitting up. PM me if you are interested. I will just put in in an envelope and mail it regular mail so it would only cost me a stamp. ; )
Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Situation A: I always wash quilts before I gift them. Learned that with my first quilt - if there's a spot where stitching is 'iffy', washing/drying shows it to me. Then I fix it. I use cold water, and scent free/clear detergent and add a color catcher when washing. Some folks will tell you to use Retayne, but I've never used it so have no opinion on it. So far, all the washed quilts came out just fine. In any case, a slightly faded quilt is more attractive than a quilt with cat pee in it.

Situation B: I haven't had this problem, but am interested in the replies. My first thought was to put the label over it, and that would work. But maybe you already have the label on, so that may not be an option.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
As for the cat pee...pet stores sell something that is especially for getting the cat pee smell out of carpets..it's an enzymatic something or other...the theory is that the enzymes break up the proteins in the cat pee, and then the smell will wash out. Good luck!
We had a cat that peed on anything bunched up and on the floor. Sure made us neater!! We washed things with Tide and Oxyclean and the smell came out. BUT, for a quilt that is going elsewhere, you might check out this enzymatic stuff. We had to use it on carpet and it worked. Don't know about ammonia...but I would be cautious on amount used with that. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 AM

carolaug

Thanks for the offer, but we have tons of cat fabrics. Matter of fact the quilts are made made from cat prints. So we can easily make appliques from any number of designs.
It's a great idea and easily done.

Thanks.

Joe
Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

The cat pee quilt just wash and dry before shipping. Wash on medium warm and thumble dry normal heat or line dry. When you wash the quilt besure to add a Shout color catcher. I have front loader washing machines and have never had a problem only when I had top loaders that have agitators did I have damage to the quilt. So you might take the quilt to a laundry mat to use a front loader or ask a friend.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Yeah, our machine is a top loader with a aggravater so we'll be using the laundromat.

Joe
Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Default 'Charms' are my charm.

I'm just seeing this thread because I've been a tad busy lately (tried to finish a quilt for Christmas. Didn't happen). Anyway, regarding the burn spot. Place a 'charm, over it. Tell people it's your trademark. A charm is a lovely little patch that isn't trying to hide. On my appliquéd quilt, I accidentally poked a hole in one of the blocks. Rather than re-doing it, I cut a leaf out of one of the fabrics, and appliquéd it over the hole. I liked it so much, I placed another 'charm.' They actually gave the quilt life. I have a pic posted in here somewhere. My quilt is called I'm a little teapot. If you find it, look for the leaf, and then a butterfly. The butterfly hides nothing. The leaf does :-).
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Yep, I understand. These quilts were started long ago and should have been finished and shipped weeks ago. I wanted my aunts to have them by Christmas, but it's not to be.

Joe