Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with quilting situations :(

Need help with quilting situations :(

OK, my wife and I have been making a quilt for each of my two remaining aunts. Wife took it upon herself to appropriate the 201-2 and do the quilting. We decided that we'd do a SITD type for several reasons.

Situation A:
    When the first quilt was almost done we took a break. Part of the quilt slipped off the machine onto the floor. One of our wonderful little puddy tats peed on it. Luckily for the cat, we didn't see it happen. Had we .... well the cat would not be very happy.
    We used cold water to get the pee out and off then used some spray deodorizer on the spots. But the quilt is going to have to be washed before we can ship it. I'm terrified of throwing a new quilt made from new materials in a wash machine. Fading, colors bleeding and of course bunching up and seams coming apart are what I'm worried about.

Situation B:
    This morning as she was almost done with quilt #2 and I was making a brunch she said something like are you cooking cinnamon? I said no, just some left over chicken.

Turns out she'd got the quilt backing too close to the machines light for too long and it's got a small burn mark on it.

We were thinking of using peroxide on a q-tip to try and lighten it. No way to replace the backing at this point.

So, for these two things, I need some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Situation A: I always wash quilts before I gift them. Learned that with my first quilt - if there's a spot where stitching is 'iffy', washing/drying shows it to me. Then I fix it. I use cold water, and scent free/clear detergent and add a color catcher when washing. Some folks will tell you to use Retayne, but I've never used it so have no opinion on it. So far, all the washed quilts came out just fine. In any case, a slightly faded quilt is more attractive than a quilt with cat pee in it.

Situation B: I haven't had this problem, but am interested in the replies. My first thought was to put the label over it, and that would work. But maybe you already have the label on, so that may not be an option.

Good luck.

I always wash quilts when they're finished, too. It softens and fluffs them and removes all the dust, skin oils and whatever might have gathered on it while you were working on it.

If you can take them to a laundromat where they have those giant front-loaders, you'll probably be happier with the results than if you use your home machine. They seem to get the quilt cleaner - be sure to use a few color-catchers, either way.

I would applique a small circle of the background fabric over the burn. It won't show once you get the quilting done. I had to do this in four places on the back of one of my quilts, and they're hard to find.

We were planning on taking them to the laundromat and using the big machines. I doubt our home machine could even hold one of these. So, cold water and color catcher ............ what is a color catcher?

Other than the binding we are finished with these two quilts. We don't have any labels to put on them so that's out.
    How would you applique the circle of material on a quilted quilt? The threads would go all the way through and that would be seeable.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    We were planning on taking them to the laundromat and using the big machines. I doubt our home machine could even hold one of these. So, cold water and color catcher ............ what is a color catcher?

Other than the binding we are finished with these two quilts. We don't have any labels to put on them so that's out.
    How would you applique the circle of material on a quilted quilt? The threads would go all the way through and that would be seeable.

Joe
    An applique can be applied and no it doesn't need to go through the quilt. If you search for applique video there are tons of free videos on the net to show you how to do it. I would say a label also, is the best way to hide the spot. It only takes a second to write something out with a permanent pen and applique it on.

Similar to the advice above, I always prewash my fabric and then wash the quilt before gifting it.

Colorcatchers can be found in most laundry depts. in chain stores. I know my local grocery stores carry them as do WM etc.

Candace,

Thanks, but what is a color catcher? I used to wash my own clothes before I got married, and I've never heard of them.

I've texted my wife, she's out shopping. Hopefully she'll know what they are.

Joe

Muv
    Joe,

My bro's mother in law used to end up with cigarette burns on her clothes. She used to embroider pretty little flowers over them.

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Candace,

Thanks, but what is a color catcher? I used to wash my own clothes before I got married, and I've never heard of them.

I've texted my wife, she's out shopping. Hopefully she'll know what they are.

Joe

They look like dryer softening sheets, but they go in the wash and are coated with a chemical that attracts extra color from the wash water, so it doesn't land on the items in the wash. They help prevent bleeding and some people have good luck using them instead of prewashing.

Candace,

Thanks. That makes sense now.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    Joe,

My bro's mother in law used to end up with cigarette burns on her clothes. She used to embroider pretty little flowers over them.
    My mom was a smoker and I've seen some of the burns that happened. Unfortunately neither my wife nor I can embroider. So it's either an applique or something.

Joe

Blog Entries
    No one commented on the issue of the cat pee - color catchers don't touch that problem. Over 20 years ago I made a beautiful fluffy quilt for my daughter in Jr. High. She had the most beautiful cat - quilt fell on the floor and the cat peed on it. I was absolutely frantic. Had no idea what to do with it so I had it dry cleaned. They put it in an enclosed plastic bag and I put it away because I didn't want it to happen again. Last year I was talking about this quilt with some friends - took it out and whew!!! Dry cleaning did not take the stink away. Was ready to put it in the garbage can except I remembered how many loving hours I put into it AND it was my first quilt. I then decided to wash it first, one last try, before throwing it out. I soaked it in Oxyclean all day. Honestly, that pee raised to the top of the water. I rinsed it, soaked in Oxyclean again - then washed it. Perfect - I still happily have it.
    Not sure about that little burn spot. I had some blood spot about the same size. Took a Q-tip with liquid bleach, rolled it on that small spot over and over. It lifted right off. Since this is on white and on the back, I'd try this - what can it hurt?

You can find color catchers in the laundry soap isle at most supermarkets or Walmart. They will pick up any unfixed dyes that can migrate or bleed onto other fabrics. Do be nice to the machines at the laundry mat and pin a few to the quilt. I would use more than one if its a first wash and a large quilt. Maybe 3 or 4 . They can slip into the plumbing and cause quite a problem.
    You can also use Sythropol in the wash .. availble at Quilt shops .. this will suspend any unset dye and keep it from setting on other fabrics in the quilt. If you have any highly suspect fabrics... go with Sythropol. It is more effective than Color Catchers.
    As for the burn .. it looks beyond a simple scorch and there is damage to the fibers. Some kind of patch/applique needs to be applied to the area.

We did get one package of color catchers. One to a package at $5.00 each. Youch!

The Oxyclean idea sounds good to me.

The photo makes the burn look worse than it is. It's more of a scorch than a burn. So far we haven't done anything with it.
    We'll try the peroxide or bleach idea first and if that doesn't work then an applique it will be ... somehow.

I'll get my wife to read this thread so we can both be on the same page.

Joe

Blog Entries
    You must have bought something similar to the long lasting reusable color catcher that JoAnn's sold years ago. In the 90s, it was $3.99. The Shout ones from the detergent aisle at the grocery are about $4 for 24 sheets. I'd throw in some vinegar to neutralize the cat urine.

amh
    I was nearly finished hand quilting a quilt when I nicked it. I asked everyone I could think of what to do and the best suggestion that I got was: Go to the craft store (Michael's where I live) and purchase iron on items that match the fabric (for me it was lady bugs), and iron them on. Don't just put one on as you want it to look like you intended to do it in the first place. I put at least a dozen and it's amazing how many people who have spent the night in my spare room comment on the lady bugs and how they add to the quilt.

You could put a label on the spot, applique a few designs from the fabric, sew or applique a few fabric ribbons that cover the spot.

Good luck.
    Aileen
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Take a 3x5 piece of plain fabric or fabric used in the quilt top and write a label for the burned quilt using permanent markers. Sharpies will work but will eventually fade from washing. Put the label over the burned area and whip stitch it on only catching the top layer of fabric. It is basic hand sewing.

OK after reading all this I have one question. Is borax anything like the oxyclean?
    Or should we just bite the bullet and go get some of the oxyclean? Time and the money is not matching up right now too.. GRRR!

Elaine

Blog Entries
    Do you have a Dollar General store? Ours sells an off brand Oxyclean and it costs $1! I think it is called Oxybrite, Oxywash, Oxyfresh, oh, I don't know for sure - Just starts with Oxy! I found it in the laundry supply section.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I've used Borax to get the lingering dog odor out of the furgirls' bedding, but never for urine, but it could work. Do you have any vinegar? You have the color catcher so you are good there. Are you sure these won't fit in your home washer?

Blog Entries
    I bought a quilt for my DGD - she was along at GW and fell in love. It looks like a big doll house and then someone did a nice job of putting pieces all the way around. I told her I could make one but she wanted it. There is a good tear in the backing - I need to get a heart appliqued over it - I'll do it by hand so it doesn't show on the front. She loves hearts anyway.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I can hand stitch a button on that will never ever come off. I can't whip stitch or do other hand stitches worth a diddly hoot.
    Not sure about my wife. In eons past when I needed something repaired that required hand stitching I got my mom to do it. Unfortunately she's gone now.

Well see. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Joe

Blog Entries
    large safety pin the colorcatcher to a fat quarter sized piece of muslin because they like to get stuck in the drain of the machine and cause a mess and a repair bill.

wash #1 in cold water. Use the color catcher as an added safety For #2 try the bleach / peroxide ideas. Then if it still shows, either applique a patch or put your label there.

Blog Entries
    Joe, I have an old Kenmore that writes names, I might be able to help you make a label of sorts or maybe you can free motion a label to sew on.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Joe, I have an old Kenmore that writes names, I might be able to help you make a label of sorts or maybe you can free motion a label to sew on.
    Now that is a machine I could use for many projects. What model is it?

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast