New Home 960 Excessive Noise?

Old 06-09-2020, 10:57 PM

Default New Home 960 Excessive Noise?

I have just restored a New Home 960 sewing machine (See Photo) and it now produces lovely stitches (See Photo) However, whilst I realise that oscillating machines tend to be quite noisy, I think this is more so. I have identified excessive tolerance in a square pinion where it connects to a fork component (See Photo) and I wondered if it had been inserted incorrectly at the manufacturing stage. As the component looks quite square, shout it have been fitted on the opposite faces.

Clearly, I don’t want to remove and refit if the tolerances and thus noise is normal in these sewing machines. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

img_2228.jpg

img_2215.jpg

img_2227.jpg
Old 06-10-2020, 05:50 AM

Your machine looks very much like a New Home I have apart on the workbench, although I can't find a model number on it anywhere.
I will get motivated and clean it up and see what kind of noises it makes and post back.
Attached Thumbnails img_0210.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 05:56 AM

Here's the same connection on my machine.
Attached Thumbnails img_0211.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 06:19 AM

Its clearly the same construction.

Is there much play with your component and is your machine quite noisy. With mine, it does seem that the noise emanates from this part of the underside.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:26 AM

I had this machine years ago. It tended to be noisy most of the time. You may want to take a small level and see if the bar is level between the two ends. If not adjust accordingly.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
Its clearly the same construction.

Is there much play with your component and is your machine quite noisy. With mine, it does seem that the noise emanates from this part of the underside.
Mine is apart and bone dry right now, but just wiggling the main top shaft back and forth by hand I hear noise from both ends of top and bottom components. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will get the inside cleaned/oiled and run it with a motor.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:06 AM

Would you kindly elaborate upon your suggestion, perhaps by providing a link to assistive information or video resources? Which specific bar are you referring too? Any illustrative material (Videos, Documents or Diagrams) would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 AM

It would be so helpful if you could chronicle your refurbishment with photographs, punctuated with brief notes..
Old 06-10-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
It would be so helpful if you could chronicle your refurbishment with photographs, punctuated with brief notes..
My machine was being thrown out and was sitting on a curb for the trash; a friend picked it up for me. The machine has two plugs, for the light and the motor, but there was no outlet on the table it was in. I oiled up everything that could be oiled, and then did it two more times. I don't have an outlet with a foot control available so I could only test it at "full throttle" when I plugged it in. It vibrated quite a bit, but I did not hear any metal slop while it was running. It ran really fast with the stitch width selector at "0" and then slowed down as I moved it to "5". It's harder to turn by hand at "5" than at "0" so I am letting more oil soak, as I don't know if that's normal.
I heard the most metal slop at the nose end of the upper portion while moving the handwheel back and forth by hand. Interestingly, when the machine was lying on its "back" it didn't make any noise moving the handwheel back and forth, but did when upright.
I have not sew tested it yet because I need to put together an outlet with a foot control.
I did take some pictures, but it wasn't really dirty inside, just dry. If you want to see them I will post them. The outside had a layer of dirt on it, most of which wiped off, and I had already started that before I saw your first post.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:32 PM

I did some more testing, and the noise at the nose end increases dramatically when the stitch width is at "5" and is almost nonexistent when it is at "0". I am trying to pin down what part(s) are making the noise but it all seems to be related to the needle bar.