Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New to sewing machines, trying to clean a badged unit >

New to sewing machines, trying to clean a badged unit

New to sewing machines, trying to clean a badged unit

Old 07-01-2018, 06:02 AM

Default New to sewing machines, trying to clean a badged unit

Hello all, I just bought my first sewing machine, literally first machine. I saw it at a garage sale, fell in love and here we are. I want to get it all cleaned up however I'm afraid I don't know where to start. Could anyone help me out? From what I have learned research wise, this is a badged machine made Japan. A dressmaker looks like the 205. It has some yellow staining on the paint and some of the parts are rusty, not all the dials fully turn. I bought some sewing machine oil and thought i'd try some dish soap and a toothbrush on the outside to try to get the yellow stains off.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:21 AM

Welcome to the Quilting Board. You will find lots on information here. I can't help you on cleaning up your new found machine but I know others will be along to help you in the progress. Once you get that little jewel purring you will be off to your new adventure in quilting. You will learn so much here & also on the web (you tube, tutorials, etc.) We love pictures here & a picture of you machine will probably help those who can enlighten you as to how to clean her up. Have fun!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:41 AM

I tried posting one but it wouldn't let me do it. It always tells me the upload fails so I"m not sure what I"m doing wrong.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 AM

Hi and welcome.

Probably the image is too large. The image needs to be reduced in size.

Also you might just want to use sewing machine oil on a cotton balls or old cotton t-shirt to wipe down the sewing machine and see if that doesn't clean it up some. Most of the Japanese machines I have run across have fairly decent paint jobs, but not all are and water can get into cracks in outer coat. After it has sat for a while you can wipe down again with a dry cotton cloth. Several of have used TR-3 on sewing machines. It is a 'resin glaze' cleaner for automobiles. I used to see it in auto parts stores, but I have looked lately and supposedly can't even order it through them any more. I still need to check a couple of places to see if they had it or could order it. It is available online.

I've used a variety of things to clean rust off metal parts. I also use 0000 steel wool on metal pieces.

Did you get a manual with your machine?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:42 AM

No I didn't get a manual with it. I am currently cleaning it with water and dish soap on the outside to get the stains off. The insides aren't too bad, husband does think the peddle may be bad, so I'm hoping I can get a new one. Your
right the photo was to big. Here is my new machine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]596941[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sewing-machine2.jpg   sewing-machine3.jpg  
Old 07-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Are you sure you have the foot control (pedal) plugged in to the correct outlet? Although if you did that it would just start running without touching the pedal.

Does the light work? The switch is on the end with the hand wheel.

If you look at https://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Cor...143-SCE143.htm it should have a link for a foot control.

The manual I have, I think is from the vintage Japanese yahoo group. I can't tell if your machine has a low or high shank presser foot. The manual I have looks like it might be a high shank.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:28 AM

Yes the light does work, husband got the foot pedal working. He had to take it apart and then was able to clean some things up and get it working. I downloaded a manual for a Dessmaker 205 offline, figured for $10 it will probably help me since I have no idea how to run a machine. I'm really excited to try using it though. I'm hoping the manual will tell me where to put oil.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:36 AM

Anywhere two plain metal joints, hinges, or rollers move or spin is a safe bet. If there are gears, a few take oil, others take grease. Under the hood, behind the face plate, and underneath. It may take a few oilings to clean out old dust and grime.
Clean especially well on and around the feed dogs.
You're going to have so much fun!
Old 07-01-2018, 08:49 AM

Thanks I am really looking forward to it. The amount of rust on the bobbin case may mean I'll have to buy a new one. We will see how well it cleans off.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:06 PM

If I were you, I would put the oil on a small cloth or cotton ball and go over everything you have used water on. I also use Brasso to get rust off. no water. Take the big screws out of top and lift it off easily and check if it has any oil on all metals that meet and use a drop of tri-flow or good sewing machine oil on them. Brush off foot feeds with clean small brush and polish bobbin holder with good polish. It takes a while to get it cleaned, but it's fun. Do the underneath side too. A new needle and clean under the face plate. I don't bother the motor, I let my Son do that.ha,ha. This is just a little of what I do to clean one.