Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: not my "cup-o-tea" but someone MUST want this cool machine!!!

Banned

not my "cup-o-tea" but someone MUST want this cool machine!!!

I think that ad should say “Portman” instead of “Postman”. It looks like a machine that was designed by the Portman Sewing Machine Company, and sold by National as a “Model J”, I believe....

I have one badged as a Montgomery Ward, and it’s called a “Model N-50” if I recall. My machine isn’t where I can get it out of the case and look at it right at the moment.

I removed the motor on mine in preparation for doing a little experimenting with treadling it in my MUTT. I thought the freearm would be great for darning (to mend denim jeans). I was fiddling with trying to treadle a Bernette 203 serger using the same treadle top (flat with just two belt holes in it), got hung up developing the serger application, and never even tried the Portman for treadling. Then, something else came up, and I never got back to either project....

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by ThayerRags; 12-27-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added a photo.
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

If only it was closer and less money.....
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    I think that ad should say “Portman” instead of “Postman”. It looks like a machine that was designed by the Portman Sewing Machine Company, and sold by National as a “Model J”, I believe....

I have one badged as a Montgomery Ward, and it’s called a “Model N-50” if I recall. My machine isn’t where I can get it out of the case and look at it right at the moment.

I removed the motor on mine in preparation for doing a little experimenting with treadling it in my MUTT. I thought the freearm would be great for darning (to mend denim jeans). I was fiddling with trying to treadle a Bernette 203 serger using the same treadle top (flat with just two belt holes in it), got hung up developing the serger application, and never even tried the Portman for treadling. Then, something else came up, and I never got back to either project....

CD in Oklahoma
    MUTT??? Could you explain? I feel kind of stupid right now...
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle) is a nickname for a stripped down treadle that can be transported easily (mainly to sales booths at events) and has the smallest possible foot-print to not take any more space than is absolutely necessary. Mine has multiple tops with different cutouts for different machines to use the with same treadle stand.

I also have a MUTTIN (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle - INdustrial) that is an industrial-size treadle set up for the same purpose, but for larger machines.

CD in Oklahoma

Edited to add: I should add, that there is an earlier term coined by the TreadleOn Group, called a MUT (Multi-Use Treadle) that has been around longer. The MUT is a treadle stand that typically has either a single top with a large cutout using multiple inserts to accommodate different machine types, or has multiple tops that can be changed out. In most cases, the large sewing area of the top is preserved, and not trimmed down or abbreviated. While some owners do travel with their MUT, the unit may not have been set up specifically for traveling purposes like a MUTT or MUTTIN.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by ThayerRags; 12-28-2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Additional text.
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the explanation! My DH wants to put 4 treadle bases (irons?) together with one large top over all, and a cutout for a different treadle machine above each set of irons. Definitely a MUT, but not portable!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    ..... put 4 treadle bases (irons?) together with one large top over all, and a cutout for a different treadle machine .....
    That sounds like it will be a good setup. Anne Kusilek (aka DamascusAnnie) in Wisconsin (then Texas, then back in Wisconsin) has one like that. There’s a photo of it in her Photobucket.

Did you get your inspiration from hers, or elsewhere?

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

That table is a thing of beauty.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    That sounds like it will be a good setup. Anne Kusilek (aka DamascusAnnie) in Wisconsin (then Texas, then back in Wisconsin) has one like that. There’s a photo of it in her Photobucket.

Did you get your inspiration from hers, or elsewhere?

CD in Oklahoma
    Thanks for the pic - that is exactly what DH has in mind! Can't wait to show him the pic. I think he came up with his idea without seeing a pic, but not sure.
    Linda

LOL, I saw it listed for $30 about a year ago. Looks like the same machine? But, it sold before I could get to it. Maybe the buyer could n't repair it and decided to make a profit?