Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Old Sewing Machine Identification >

Old Sewing Machine Identification

Old Sewing Machine Identification

Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Alright so I read that article on the clutch and mine is a bit different. It looks the same but the piece with the two notches that the washer goes on is part of the main shaft on that singer in the article and doesn't rotate with the hand wheel. On my machine, it rotates with the hand wheel not the main shaft. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that or if its broken. I do have the knob at the end of the wheel off and the washer too so does that mean the hand wheel should come right off? The hand wheel also turns.... kinda. It is really stiff. I also did see the article on leonf's white so thats why I asked first about how this hand wheel come off.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Don't know if this will help. One this White, there is an arm ( bottom dead center) that rotates a bit to lock or unlock the clutch knob from the handwheel. Also, the clutch knob has a set screw in the hub to the main shaft that should (ahem) release it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]610156[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails white-clutch-lever-b.jpg  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM

Alright so its been a while since I've made my last post and the sewing machine is almost all apart. The last piece that needs to come off is the main shaft and it won't budge. I'll probably soak the machine in vinegar or evaporust and hopefully it comes out nicely. Also is there a certain way that shaft comes out? At the moment I'm trying to hit it from the back of the machine so it comes out the front. Also at the moment I am soaking all the little parts that aren't going to be replaced in evaporust. They've been soaking for a few hours and are looking better every time that I've been checking on it. I took some before pictures so when I take them out tomorrow, I'll take some new pictures and post them along with the before pictures.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Thank you!

Glad you are still working on it. Just the other day, I was wondering how this was coming along.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Well I've been trying to post those before and after pictures of the parts I put in the rust remover. It keeps saying upload failed or something like that. I'll keep trying to post them so for now, I'll just describe how it went. So I had those parts in there for 6 hours and Evaporust did fairly well. If I had let it sit for 24 hours, I probably would have noticed a bigger difference. The part that cleaned up the best was the handwheel. All of the rust was removed, there was still black paint on it and most of the plating was still on it. Unfortunately when I wiped off the handwheel, the plating came off too. Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to fill the inside of the machine with evaporust so hopefully the shaft comes out nicely. Also I tried sanding and polishing parts that were plated and its been going fairly well. The problem is that lots of those parts are pitted so I have to try and take the pits out of them.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:50 PM

There is a size limit and limit to the number of images per post. I use an old MS Office Picture Manager and use "Predefined width by height" and then "Web Large (640x480)," but I think the limit may be 1.9MB. One can only post 10 images per post.

I don't have any suggestions for the shaft - maybe a fountain with a pump continuously going over. Or, I suppose you could find a cleaning tank and use gallons to submerge. Neither would work for me.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.