Older Viking Sewing Machine

Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Blueyeswv
I have the Diamond viking, bought it 2 years back. But when I embroidery on it, no matter what design I use....it has puckers... :(
I would take it back to the dealer and have them show you what you can do to avoid this. It may be as simple as using a different stabalizer, or it may be your tension is off. We have an embroidery club once a month at our store where we do a project. That way you have the teachers knowledge and suggestions as to what causes things like this.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mountain deb
The flip side to this is the knknown factor. Two years ago, I bought an old viking machine at an auction. Took it in to have it cleaned and checked. I was told the sad news, it would have cost me $250 or more for parts and labor to have it up and running. It went to the sewing machine graveyard at his store for parts.
Too bad. I took mine in and was told $350 to fix it. Or I could trade it in. hmm. Took and walked out. 3 years later I came across the yahoo group for vintage Vikings . It was my buttonholer knob that froze up. They helped me fix it and its working again. Then I got into vintage machines and haven't used it. lol I was using the old Singers and a Household machine I found in a thrift store. Viking still works. Just no room for it anymore.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 AM

I have went back several times to Jo Anns, in the corner of the store is Hus. store. Anyways, I'v been told loosen tension,don't hoop tight,use light weight stablizer..I did all of that..some helped, but not enough...They all still pucker and some really bad. Thanks for the advice..might just take my machine in..
Originally Posted by gmaybee
I have the Diamond viking, bought it 2 years back. But when I embroidery on it, no matter what design I use....it has puckers... :(
I would take it back to the dealer and have them show you what you can do to avoid this. It may be as simple as using a different stabalizer, or it may be your tension is off. We have an embroidery club once a month at our store where we do a project. That way you have the teachers knowledge and suggestions as to what causes things like this.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Absolutely you should take it. It's free...what kind of trouble could that cause?
The older mechanical machines are real workhorses. I wish I had one. :thumbup:
Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 PM

I have PM'd you with some suggestions to avoid puckers.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99

The difficulty is, you might get addicted to collecting and fixing up old machines. They are fascinating!
I'm one of those addicted to vintage machines! It started out with just one a year ago...Now I'm up to 12
:lol: :lol: . I have 7 in cabinets in the living room and dining room and thinking seriously about getting rid of the large sofa to fit in a few more which reside in the shed at the moment. My kids think I'm ready to be committed but I call it cheap entertainment :lol: . My latest acquisition was a 1930 Singer treadle in a beautiful oak cabinet last weekend at a yard sale for only $75.00. I cleaned and oiled it..DS doesn't know it but when he comes over tomorrow to do a few chores for me, he's going to put on the new belt. Then away I go!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

That sound wonderful!! I only have 3, 2 singer featherweights 1 black and one white, a really nice 99k. I learned to sew on a treadle machine and would love to have another. Keep on collecting it is such great fun.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM

IT WOULD ALREADY BE IN MY HOUSE.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:04 PM
MNM

YES! Run and get it. MNM
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 PM

My 3rd Viking is the diamond. I have a 30 year plus one and a lily. Love my machines.What can you lose if it is free?