Older Viking Sewing Machine

Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by marmalade
I have a chance to get an older Viking machine (metal, in cabinet) for free. Apparently it is in great working condition.
I don't know what the model is, but the machine has 2 dials on the rt side and a sliding lever. I am guessing it is from the 50's or 60's.

Should I take it? Assuming it is in working order, of course...or am I asking for trouble???
TAKE IT - TAKE IT - TAKE IT
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM

What colour is it? I used to have a cream and green one with dials on the side and a slider and it came from the early 70s. I t was very good to use and the newer attachments would fit onto it as well. I would give any freebie a go.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Yes, yes, yes!!! I have a little green Viking 21 from the early fifties. I paid #39 for it last year, got it tuned up and cleaned for $45 and also replaced one of the belts for $7. My machine uses cams to achieve a variety of stitch patterns. It has three needle positions (L. C, R) and a unique optional low speed setting which comes in very handy for precise sewing and quilting. My machine is all metal and is extremely powerful for sewing through thick canvas, denim, etc. but also handles delicate fabric very easily. It has adjustable presser foot pressure and I can lower the feed dogs. I use this machine for FMQ without any problems and recently quilted a 90" diameter Christmas tree skirt on it. The stitches are perfect and the bobbin never jams up. If I had an opportunity to buy another one to keep as a spare I would do it in a heartbeat. I know they don't make machines like this anymore. Even back when it was new (early fifties) it was a very expensive top of the line item and sold for $349.00 according to the original receipt. That was a lot of money back in those days! They sell on eBay occasionally but usually for a high price. So, jump on it...you will love it!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 PM

I would most definately take the machine. The vast majority of older machines are wonderful things.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by marmalade
I have a chance to get an older Viking machine (metal, in cabinet) for free. Apparently it is in great working condition.
I don't know what the model is, but the machine has 2 dials on the rt side and a sliding lever. I am guessing it is from the 50's or 60's.

Should I take it? Assuming it is in working order, of course...or am I asking for trouble???
Take it.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Viking machines are excellent machines one that old will be made with all metal parts I know as a kid growing up it was considered a top of the line machine.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 AM

I have a Viking I bought in 1970, only been to shop one time. never needs to be oiled, runs like a champ, I've really used this little machine and wouldn't give it up for no digital..... I think you got a bargain. :) IN 1970 I paid over $500.00 for mine. Back then it was considered a top of the line.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Well everyone, I am leaving shortly to pick up the machine!

I am getting excited! I feel like I am adopting a "baby"!
I hope she has all her fingers and toes (accessories) lol!

I won't be back till later tonite, so I'll let everyone know how she is then...
Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Take it. The older Vikings were made of metal (not plastic) and were really work horses. Plus, they had the ability to sew through leather. The old Vikings just kept on going, and going, and going. If it is in working condition, it could be given to someone who doesn't have a machine. I never pass by an opportunity to pick up "working" machines to give away to others.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Dee

A good machine. Love my Viking.