Pfaff Treadle 31

Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM

Was this a "coffin" top treadle? It doesn't appear to have the means to fold the machine into the top.
anyway it is beautiful. Congratulations!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311870[/ATTACH]
The machine does fold down into the base. When it is up, the piece that covers the top attaches to the left of the table to extend the surface, pretty cool! I love this cabinet, so simple and functional.

My research has shown that the Pfaff 31 was modeled after the Singer 15 and that is why they appear so similar. Same body style, different engineering, bobbins, etc. I really hope I can learn more, but it appears that Pfaff treadles are not common in the US as most of you already know. I am such a newbie at this!

I think this machine is marvelous and I have relaxed a little bit about what I thought were gouges on her top. I think that what really they are is probably a result of having a piece of cloth wrapped around her and using it as a pin cushion, thus wearing the paint down to the bare metal. I have often thought that practice could damage a machine when I have seen pictures, and I think that is what likely happened here. Which really is just more evidence of being used and loved, a good thing. I do not think there is anything that won't clean up. I can't wait to spend a little more time with the treadle mechanism, get a new belt and get her running. I don't think she will take much work.
Attached Thumbnails img_0509.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I don't see any paint issue - just looks like wear - nothing wrong with wear - that machine got used to make stuff. If the wear is causing problems just put on of those cheap cutting mats or a big magnet over the bed - most of the time it shouldn't matter.
I went back and read what you said about gouging - I was thinking it was just wear and tear. I believe someone who is experience in car touch up painting could repair it if it is bothering you - if it is snagging fabric or something I would want the paint to be patched.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I believe someone who is experience in car touch up painting could repair it if it is bothering you - if it is snagging fabric or something I would want the paint to be patched.
Yep, my friend who does auto body touch ups is already on notice. But I won't know what needs to be done until after I get her cleaned up. I doubt those gouges or wear spots on the top will bother any fabric, but there are a couple on the bed too and they might catch fabric. Just have to get her running to see.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I have one with pin rash on the top too - I've been thinking about maybe making something to go up there. Maybe put some thing inside to keep the pins from going through. I had an old Elna I literally wore out - I glued a magnet on the front of it LOL... I was busy.... I had pins to keep track of - little kids around with out shoes...... gee I miss those days.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jrrotunno View Post
Yep, my friend who does auto body touch ups is already on notice. But I won't know what needs to be done until after I get her cleaned up. I doubt those gouges or wear spots on the top will bother any fabric, but there are a couple on the bed too and they might catch fabric. Just have to get her running to see.
Sounds like I will have to make friends with someone in the auto body business. The hand crank I am working on has some spots on the edges where the finish is completely gone and I know fabric would catch on the edges. But on the small spots I was thinking that I would experiment with some model airplane paints (of course where the touch up would not show).
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 PM

WOW, i have never seen one either, i love it, i own two pfaffs, 1469 and 1471, thank you for sharing
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue View Post
Was this a "coffin" top treadle? It doesn't appear to have the means to fold the machine into the top.
anyway it is beautiful. Congratulations!
Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me where you located the serial number at on your PFAFF. I have a Pfaff 31 Treadle sewing machine as well, it has been around our house for years. It looks exactly like yours. The table is in excellent condition and I don't know much about the machine but from what I can see it looks to be in good condition, just needs to be dusted off and oiled. I want to get it all cleaned up and in working condition again and to learn as much about it as I can and especially date it. My main question was about where to locate the serial number. Thank you taking the time to read my post.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 PM

I'm sorry, I realized I replied to the wrong post.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 PM

Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me where you located the serial number at on your PFAFF. I have a Pfaff 31 Treadle sewing machine as well, it has been around our house for years. It looks exactly like yours. The table is in excellent condition and I don't know much about the machine but from what I can see it looks to be in good condition, just needs to be dusted off and oiled. I want to get it all cleaned up and in working condition again and to learn as much about it as I can and especially date it. My main question was about where to locate the serial number. Thank you taking the time to read my post.