Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pfaff wiring question; some advice appreciated >

Pfaff wiring question; some advice appreciated

Pfaff wiring question; some advice appreciated

Old 04-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bella Biscuit View Post
I have only recently emmigrated from england and didnt have to worry so much there as PAT tested machines could be easily sourced.
Did this machine also come from England? I'm sure you know that the UK uses 220V mains whereas the US uses 110V mains. The motor's voltage will be printed on it, and needs to match the mains in your house.

US motors and foot controllers would probably burn out and trip the fuse if plugged into an English socket, and UK motors are severely under-powered when plugged into a US socket. Neither situation is recommended, and voltage converters are quite cheap if you do find a voltage incompatibility. As an example, I have a US made featherweight, and coupled with a 240V to 110V converter, it works perfectly.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:14 PM

Thanks heaps. No its a US/german machine (made for S. American market i think) from a US seller..
I did bring my beloved Singer 15 with me from England- its awaiting a new US motor to be bolted on, but i wanted to try something with more decorative stitches hence looking into machines with patterns and cams etc Going to try one of the more mainstream Singer 400 series next probably .... meanwhile the Pfaff is going back sadly.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bella Biscuit View Post
Thanks heaps. No its a US/german machine (made for S. American market i think) from a US seller..
I did bring my beloved Singer 15 with me from England- its awaiting a new US motor to be bolted on, but i wanted to try something with more decorative stitches hence looking into machines with patterns and cams etc Going to try one of the more mainstream Singer 400 series next probably .... meanwhile the Pfaff is going back sadly.
OK, that's one potential problem eliminated.

If you're going to be FM quilting with it the 400 series might not be ideal due to its horizontal bobbin (apparently causes the tension to be inconsistent) but for general use, the 400s are really nice.

I bought a Pfaff 260 (1959) some time ago and started stitching with it last week. It was absolutely fantastic, and I say "was" because the bobbin case pin was slightly bent and snapped when I tried to bend it back again (sigh).
Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 PM

Bella Biscuit,

Yes, it is sad that you have to return it. The Pfaff 332 is still my favorite machine, not just for nostalgic reasons, but because it would sew just about anything. However, it does have a flaw in that it is powered by a metal-cleated cotton belt which they no longer produce. Mine was starting to need a new belt (last replaced in the 1990s) but there are none. So it's likely you would be disappointed by it sooner or later.

The Singer 400 series would be a good choice for you if you want decorative stitches or even a 500. They will use a Class 66 bobbin, and I'd recommend looking for old metal bobbins to use for it. The good news is that parts are easier to get. A new cord set would not be a bad idea and you can find them at http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/
You wouldn't have to get a new foot controller, you could use the old controller and just attach new wires. There are tutorials available if you need them. However, if you upgrade to an electronic foot controller, you get a little more control and if you use them continuously for an extended time they don't get hot like the old button controllers do.

Good luck in your search.