Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pheasant Decal Singer Probably Heading My Way >

Pheasant Decal Singer Probably Heading My Way

Pheasant Decal Singer Probably Heading My Way

Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Congratulations. Looking forward to pictures.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM

I'm home. It's raining, so I've left the machine in the car. Haven't looked it over critically yet, but the head is fairly clean with lovely decals in very good shape- almost no wear, and no "pin rash". I hadn't realized how colorful this style of decal is. I've looked up the serial #- D257812- as being 1908, but the website I went to (oldsingerewingmachineblog) for the corresponding model # comes up with blank pages. The irons have a few light rust spots, but mostly glossy black paint. The case top has some water damage and a broken middle drawer. Haven't mucked out the goodie drawer yet, but no square key. Old razor blades, a few buttons, the usual grodie bra backs saved for their hooks, etc. Some of the decal's birds look like they have a bit of Black Forest influence in them- similar to the old cuckoo clock carvings. Will post pics tomorrow.
I haven't found anything yet about how many models and machines were made with this decal. For me it was worth all the drama. I can take a drawer from another case, and maybe the top also. I haven't tried to do any refinishing, but maybe this summer I will practice on an old piece of furniture. Plan to do a bit of light cleaning on the head next week. I doubt the story the machine belonged to the seller's Grammy's. The Good Samaritan who brought it partway shared the seller was part antique picker and part hoarder. Thank you for the good luck wishes!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM

Sounds like you got a great deal! The serial shows a Model 27, commmissioned on March 18, 1908.

A small screwdriver should open the locks on the drawers...
Old 03-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Congratulations Monroe ! I am so happy for you. I remember the day I got my beautiful Pheasant baby in a gorgeous cabinet and I love her so much... you will be so thrilled I am sure.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Happy,Happy, I'm doing the Zumba for you.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Finally got a pic resized to attach. Although the machine looks fairly clean, it shows a whitish haze in some photos, Maybe from the tiny eggshell crazing in the clearcoat reflecting the flash? The decals are in good condition. The machine is much grubbier underneath, but i'll work on that in a few weeks when I clean it up. I'm very happy, and want to get it in good working condition. The cabinet is pretty grubby, but I have a parlor cabinet to clean up for it's new home. Still haven't found much online about the Pheasant decals other than short blurbs and pretty pictures. Anyone know how many were made, and which models they were put on? Thanks for the good vibes.
Attached Thumbnails rsz_-treadle-pheasant-3-12.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM

The Pheasant decals were used from 1890 to 1915 on the 15, 27, and 128 models...

She's really pretty!!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:16 AM

This sounds like the same machine my sister-in-law gave me on Monday. I spent most of the day yesterday working on it... cleaning it up. The bobbin winder was rusted and wouldn't move but my husband used some FluidFilm and now it's working perfectly. But I need to buy a belt and don't know the length to buy. Does anyone out there know what size I should get? I looked on eBay and they offer different sizes. Here's a picture of the machine I'm working on. It's a labor of love.......
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 03:23 AM

Oh, and I forgot to ask..... what is the knob to the right of the Singer decal? I haven't taken it off because I don't know what it does and I don't want to mess something up. It sews..... I turned the wheel.... it works.... but don't know how to change the stitch length. Yours looks to be in great shape, Monroe....congrats!!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM

That little knob is to change the stitch length. To the right makes it larger, to the left smaller.

As for the belt, send a PM to Mizkaki...she'll get you hooked up. I don't buy "belts"...even tho I probably should, instead I use leather boot laces, usually 72 inch and cut them to size, connect them with either the old staple from the "original" belt, I've been known to use a bent, cut to length paper clip, or you can sew the ends together with dental floss.